1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lancet: Opinion: "Offline: Transcending the guilt of global health", Horton

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(19)32177-4/fulltext

https://twitter.com/user/status/1175732192095420417

MEMarge, ukxmrv, Sly Saint and 11 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

How eye-rollingly ironic in a piece calling for self-awareness of colonial prejudices that this is written:

Because it is just so much harder to do good science in those colonised places, you know, making sure that outcomes aren't switched during the trial, or ensuing that there are objective outcomes in unblinded trials, or that conflicts of interests are declared and well-managed, or that the corridors are long enough for walking tests ...

Webdog, Arnie Pye, Samuel and 18 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Is it just me, or does that article come across to you as patronising? When some western countries end up with the leaders they have, and populations so stupid as to take their health advice from Goop, and editors like Horton publish crap like PACE, who is Horton to preach about what should happen anywhere.

Arnie Pye, MEMarge, TiredSam and 23 others like this.
  4. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to be a cheerleader for the NHS and the likes of the Lancet, but extraordinary experiences with my late father and the nonsense of my own as yet undiagnosed "tiredness" are leading me to question that faith. There's an arrogance frequently encountered from GPs and everywhere else which is getting bloody tiresome now.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guy who is responsible for promoting and defending fraudulent research harmful to millions not once but twice, both times dismissing critics as irrelevant activists, says what now?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

" Fusing politics with science " we all know that ends badly .

ukxmrv, Annamaria, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do you mean? "The lights are going out all over Europe?"

DokaGirl, TheBassist and alktipping like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I'm stopping right there. I have never heard of a western medical institution claiming to stand for peace and justice. It's just not what they're for. What on earth is this guy on? Sounds like the cultural studies lecturer in the next classroom to me. Think I'll give it a miss.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Funny seeing talk of activism. We’re by definition not all that active at all, never mind activist

11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I still am a cheerleader for the NHS, at least in theory. When the NHS collapses and we have to pay for every single interaction with the medical profession, every nurse interaction, every room used, every sticking plaster, stitch and scan, I'm going to have to decide whether to bother or not. I don't want to spend hundreds or thousands of pounds only to be told that my problems are all in my head. After all, the doctors I see will have the same training they have always had, the same prejudices, the same beliefs, and they will be reading the same lies on my medical notes that they have always done. So why should I expect different treatment just because there is a large price tag attached?

large donner, Wonko, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is standard sermon format. Horton should have been a priest.
    'Dearly beloved we are gathered here together to flagellate ourselves because we have been so naughty. But everything is OK as long as you flagellate yourself according to my instructions and put a few used fivers on that silver dish.'

Snowdrop, ukxmrv, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  13. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Horton's recent post about having many medical appointments, it would appear he might be suffering from a serious illness. Does anyone know the facts on that? I agree his position is really hypocritical here, as has been his hectoring others about bad science, given his egregious willingness to defend indefensible studies published on his watch.

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Andy like this.
  14. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, he was treated for cancer earlier this year. He mentioned it at the WHA72 in May (video here: https://www.who.int/about/governance/world-health-assembly/seventy-second-world-health-assembly - he's speaking at about 1 h 4 mins in).

He is an absolutely stalwart advocate on so many global issues. It is such a shame he is not on our side on this one. I hope one day he will be.

15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After I read that earlier piece, I sent him a short message expressing my sympathy. I noted that though we disagreed strongly on this issue, I hoped he and his family were coping as best as possible with whatever it was he was dealing with, etc.

Amw66, Mithriel, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Horton said some time ago that he is proudly an activist editor. He dismisses everything relating to PACE because it is the work of "activists", nevermind that it isn't true. Nevermind that he is clearly siding with bullies who oppress vulnerable people and that he is very much complicit in highly unethical behavior.

Some people do hypocrisy like others breathe: naturally.

EzzieD, Arnie Pye and Andy like this.
  17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That's a really interesting way of looking at it - at least under the NHS we get abused for free without having to pay for it. I shall learn to count my blessings.

Amw66, Arnie Pye, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I see your point. However, if I ever break a bone and the bone is sticking out I will be glad that the NHS exists and that it won't cost the equivalent of US$2000 - US$5000 just to call an ambulance. I think abuse of patients is so built in to the medical system nowadays that I never expect it to ever improve no matter how the healthcare system is arranged and financed, so from that point of view I prefer the NHS.

Mithriel and TiredSam like this.
  19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye likes this.