1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lancet EiC (Richard Horton) honored as leading scientific and human rights voice at forefront of pandemic

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, May 30, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.elsevier.com/connect/th...d-human-rights-voice-at-forefront-of-pandemic

cough; PACE trial is still there Dr Horton.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

And it's affecting care for people with Long Covid. Maybe time to call him out on it again in that context.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Though Dr Horton was helpfully outspoken in the British press about the acute aspects of the pandemic (it really peeved me that I had to agree with what he was saying), until he acknowledges the failings of the PACE trial he is leaving many people with Long Covid at risk of harmful misguided medical interventions.

4. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Human Rights"? A bit much in this PACE/Long Covid context.

5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I expect Dr Richard Horton will be presenting Dr Anthony Fauci with an award soon enough, describing his “tireless and dedicated drive for advancing public health and social justice on an intergalactic level.” These people are worse than actors. Perhaps when they have finished being luvvies they could start cleaning up the mess they've been complicit in creating? You know, the one where thousands of people have been left to rot or actively maligned and abused for decades? Social justice my arse.

Missense, Chezboo, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly, until very recently (until about a month ago), there were 4 examples of "scientific controversies" mentioned on the Wikipedia page of the Lancet, including the one you mentioned. Now suddenly there are only two (PACE and the paper that said vaccines cause autism), the hydroxycholoroquine one is gone. (And the other one that disappeared was about a Norwegian cancer researcher's withdrawn papers because he fabricated the data.) Of course, this may be a simple coincidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lancet#Retracted_papers_and_scientific_controversies

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't find a throwing up icon.

I once had to argue with a friend who felt Ben Goldacre was doing great work and now we have Horton. What have we done to them that these great defenders of patient's rights throw us under the bus?

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

still no reply to this:
    https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Open_letter_to_the_Lancet