1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) - a discussion

Discussion in 'Subjective outcome measures (questionnaires)' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

HADS is reported to be problematic by, surprisingly, this paper from Loades, Crawley et al.

"In clinical practice, screening questionnaires which ask about depression and anxiety symptoms, such as the Revised Children’s Anxiety and Depression Scale, RCADS [3], and the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale, HADS [4], are often used as part of the assessment process. However, in our paper, we reported our findings of variable discriminative validity of these questionnaires for detecting anxiety and depression separately [2]. Whilst we found sufficiently accurate threshold scores for classifying those with anxiety disorders on both the 47-item and 25-item parent and child versions of the RCADS, we could not identify a sufficiently accurate threshold score for classifying those with depression. We also could not identify sufficiently accurate threshold scores on the HADS for either anxiety or depression."

Mental health screening in adolescents with CFS/ME, Loades, Crawley et al, 2021

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Another paper that reports issues with HADS.

How common are depression and anxiety in adolescents with CFS and how should we screen for these mental health co-morbidities, 2020, Loades et al

MEMarge and Wyva like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This looks relevant to this thread, even though it's about a different questionnaire:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1502152885160660994

The heading is:
    Assessment of body-focussed Beck Anxiety and Beck Depression Inventory items in chronic illness: A preliminary analysis of emotional versus physical causes. by Jill Albertson et al.

Michelle, EzzieD, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Could be worth posting it on this thread as well? Questionnaires - design, validation and use in ME/CFS research - discussion thread

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Good idea, Andy. I'll do that now.

6. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting those @Andy, good timing. I'm currently in the middle of writing an article on HADS to show how easily it can misinterpret ME/CFS. The basic idea is to use an imaginary ME/CFS patient's answers to the statements and explain his reasoning behind these, with examples from his daily life, so people can see why it is a bad tool. It's even better if I can use Esther Crawley's papers to show that even she agrees. :)

What prompted me to write about HADS was this paper about the very first covid long haulers, the ones after the first SARS outbreak in the 2000s. HADS was one of the scales they used to assess them (but they also used the Fukuda criteria for CFS for example):
    Mental Morbidities and Chronic Fatigue in Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Survivors - Long-term Follow-up, 2009, Lam et al

7. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An investigation into the psychometric properties of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome

P McCue 1 , Cr Martin, T Buchanan, J Rodgers, Ab Scholey
    Affiliations
    Abstract

The study sought to determine the psychometric properties of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) in individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) assessed using a web-based data collection tool. Exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses were conducted on the HADS to determine its psychometric properties in 117 individuals with CFS. Seven models were tested to determine model fit to the data. Internal reliability estimations of the anxiety and depression sub-scales were found to be acceptable, however, a three-factor model was found to provide a significantly better fit to the data when compared to the bi-dimensional two-factor structure previously assumed to underpin the HADS' construct validity. The clinical utility of the HADS in the assessment of anxiety and depression in CFS appears to be fundamentally compromised by the presence of a three-dimensional underlying factor structure. Future revision of the HADS is recommended if the instrument is to be used reliably to screen CFS patients.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21974733/