1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Review The gastrointestinal microbiota in the development of ME/CFS: a critical view and potential perspectives, 2024, Andreas Stallmach et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Mij, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Conclusion
    In patients with ME/CFS, various studies have yielded inconclusive results regarding changes in the gastrointestinal processes where microbiota is involved. Whether these divergent findings are due to different molecular phenotypes of patients with ME/CFS remains speculative. Presently, dysbiosis in ME/CFS is to be understood as an association; causality is not proven from a critical perspective. Nevertheless, the growing comprehension of the interactions between the microbiome and the host presents an intriguing pathophysiological concept, forming the foundation for rational future therapeutic approaches. A randomized controlled study involving well-defined ME/CFS patients, encompassing post-exertional malaise (PEM), and employing repeated and long-term faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT), appears to be the most promising approach to establish causality. Such understanding of interactions will lead to concepts that help overcome therapeutic nihilism.

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/immunology/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2024.1352744/full

Kitty, oldtimer, Simon M and 2 others like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, a suggestion of a rational approach for therapy and experimentation. That seems so rare.

3. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish Invest In ME would work with their research collaborators to implement a "a higher number and duration of FMT cycle". I understood the Norwich research group funded by Invest In ME would only do one transfer.

Kitty and oldtimer like this.
  4. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

Such studies would happen more with better funding!!!

Dolphin, EzzieD, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Like other infections, a SARS-CoV-2 infection can also trigger Post-Acute Infection Syndromes (PAIS), which often progress into myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). ME/CFS, characterized by post-exercise malaise (PEM), is a severe multisystemic disease for which specific diagnostic markers or therapeutic concepts have not been established. Despite numerous indications of post-infectious neurological, immunological, endocrinal, and metabolic deviations, the exact causes and pathophysiology remain unclear. To date, there is a paucity of data, that changes in the composition and function of the gastrointestinal microbiota have emerged as a potential influencing variable associated with immunological and inflammatory pathways, shifts in ME/CFS. It is postulated that this dysbiosis may lead to intestinal barrier dysfunction, translocation of microbial components with increased oxidative stress, and the development or progression of ME/CFS.

In this review, we detailed discuss the findings regarding alterations in the gastrointestinal microbiota and its microbial mediators in ME/CFS. When viewed critically, there is currently no evidence indicating causality between changes in the microbiota and the development of ME/CFS. Most studies describe associations within poorly defined patient populations, often combining various clinical presentations, such as irritable bowel syndrome and fatigue associated with ME/CFS. Nevertheless, drawing on analogies with other gastrointestinal diseases, there is potential to develop strategies aimed at modulating the gut microbiota and/or its metabolites as potential treatments for ME/CFS and other PAIS. These strategies should be further investigated in clinical trials.

Kitty, Trish and Sean like this.