1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Emerging Role of Pericyte-Derived Extracellular Vesicles in Vascular and Neurological Health 2022 Sharma et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Pericytes (PCs), as a central component of the neurovascular unit, contribute to the regenerative potential of the central nervous system (CNS) and peripheral nervous system (PNS) by virtue of their role in blood flow regulation, angiogenesis, maintenance of the BBB, neurogenesis, and neuroprotection. Emerging evidence indicates that PCs also have a role in mediating cell-to-cell communication through the secretion of extracellular vesicles (EVs). Extracellular vesicles are cell-derived, micro- to nano-sized vesicles that transport cell constituents such as proteins, nucleic acids, and lipids from a parent originating cell to a recipient cell.

PC-derived EVs (PC-EVs) play a crucial homeostatic role in neurovascular disease, as they promote angiogenesis, maintain the integrity of the blood-tissue barrier, and provide neuroprotection. The cargo carried by PC-EVs includes growth factors such as endothelial growth factor (VEGF), connecting tissue growth factors (CTGFs), fibroblast growth factors, angiopoietin 1, and neurotrophic growth factors such as brain-derived neurotrophic growth factor (BDNF), neuron growth factor (NGF), and glial-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), as well as cytokines such as interleukin (IL)-6, IL-8, IL-10, and MCP-1. The PC-EVs also carry miRNA and circular RNA linked to neurovascular health and the progression of several vascular and neuronal diseases.

Therapeutic strategies employing PC-EVs have potential in the treatment of vascular and neurodegenerative diseases. This review discusses current research on the characteristic features of EVs secreted by PCs and their role in neuronal and vascular health and disease.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4409/11/19/3108/htm

Hutan, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 4 others like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They certainly sound like a candidate for ME's mechanism. They meed my criteria for something that responds quickly enough to account for the rapid switch from ME state to fully healthy state (and sadly, back again :(). I generally discount ME theories that lack this potential for rapid switching of state.

The recent interest in microclots and other endothilial problems in PWME could possibly be explained by pericyte dysfunction.

alktipping likes this.