1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The DWP’s invasion of the NHS continues: GPs can now refer disabled people for voluntary work placements, Steve Topple, June 2023

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Suffolkres, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, Kitty, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Canary article by Steve Topple:

Quotes:
    The DWP’s invasion of the NHS continues: GPs can now refer disabled people for voluntary work placements
    The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has announced further plans for co-working with the NHS. The proposals will allow GPs to refer chronically ill and disabled people to “employment support“. Currently, the scheme will be voluntary. However, the programme represents yet another move by the DWP to get its claws into NHS settings. Moreover, it further pushes the false narrative that ‘work is good for your health’.
    [...]
    The DWP and NHS: pushing a lie
    While the DWP’s IPSPC said to be voluntary, this ignores the reality of chronically ill and disabled people’s lived experience. If a medical professional tells you that something may help you feel better, you’re likely to believe them and accept it. We’ve seen this before with the disease myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) and exercise therapy. This treatment actually made patients worse when they carried it out – yet because of dishonest research, doctors were pushing it onto patients anyway.

However, the bigger picture here is that once again, the DWP is manipulating both patients and some medical professionals into thinking that engaging in what will likely be low-paid work is somehow good for chronically ill and disabled people. As is often the case, it’s doing this to cut costs.
    [...]

sebaaa, Kitty, DokaGirl and 11 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We used to do something similar in America. People who received SSDI benefits would be referred to state OVR programs, which could try to find a suitable job for people. They probably gave up because very few people are deemed unable to work any normal job, then able to find a job with accommodations that works well for them. I suspect the effectiveness of OVR was also a problem, as I've worked with them before and they didn't help me. They met with me once, then never contacted me again.

sebaaa, Kitty, DokaGirl and 7 others like this.
  4. AknaMontes

AknaMontes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They endlessly go round in circles don't they - a new initiative is supposed to 'get the message across' to disabled people they will be far happier and healthier working, (ignoring the fact almost everyone wants to work) so in they went, made thousands of job applications, with the staff knowing it wasn't going to work because the jobs chronically ill and disabled people can do, don't actually exist. So they scrap the system, wait a year and the circle starts again as though it's never been round before.

Michelle, rvallee, sebaaa and 12 others like this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

demagoguery with a small d

Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.