1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

the devil we know DuPont/Teflon

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by NelliePledge, Dec 1, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’ve been watching this documentary today It’s been shown here by the BBC as part of their Storyville series. it’s an Erin Brockovich type example of chemical poisoning of water in W Virginia. But massive wider implications due to formulation of Teflon including C8 the offending chemical. Corporate capture of the EPA by DuPont. Huge

https://thedevilweknow.com/

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, as they say, nothing sticks to Teflon.

3. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was a really good documentary although such a tragic story. I'm not buying Teflon pans anymore given the harm that gets done making them. We were taught at vet school about not having pet birds in the kitchen if Teflon pans are used, the fumes kill them, like in the programme!

Sadly I suspect if they have more scrutiny DuPont will move production to a less developed country where regulations aren't as strict.

MEMarge, andypants and Hutan like this.
  4. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad I stopped buying Teflon pans years ago :confused:

There are so many better alternatives now, like cast iron pans that are not sticky but can also handle metal spatulas, dishwashers, and going in the oven at high degrees. Especially with ME, I refuse to own anything that doesn’t go in the machine!

Perrier, MEMarge and Inara like this.
  5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is what I am wondering.
    I'm not a Teflon fan, but what I like even less is using tons of oil and then everything still gets stuck on the pan - it tastes bad, it looks bad, and you'll have lots of fun cleaning the pan, where all the yummy baked food parts really are.

So are there real alternatives to teflon pans? (@andypants, if you want to - could you write me a PM with a link or whatever?)

MEMarge and andypants like this.