1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'The dementia that can be cured' - Guardian article about autoimmune neurological diseases, 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Trish, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/oct/25/the-dementia-that-can-be-cured

The dementia that can be cured

Treatments mentioned include steroids, rituximab and plasma exchange.

merylg, MEMarge, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Years ago a Canadian doctor was saying that chlamydia pneumoniae could be implicated as a risk factor for some late-onset AD patients, and that he treated patients with abx with positive results. He also said they found this pathogen in autopsied brains of AD patients, and that it shouldn't be there.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is another kind of dementia that can be cured, or at the very least deterioration can be slowed down. It's estimated to be the cause of about 5% - 6% of cases of dementia. That condition is Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH). It is a condition that is normally associated with the elderly, but that is probably because that is when it is normally discovered, if it is discovered at all i.e. when the sufferer is old. If NPH is discovered it can be treated with surgery if deterioration hasn't gone too far. Note that NPH - despite the name - doesn't always occur with normal pressure in the head/brain - it can be elevated too, so I've never understood the name.

I was diagnosed with the condition a few years ago and have had surgery for it. It was an accidental finding that showed up in an MRI scan I had. Further investigation suggested that my condition had developed in the womb, in infancy or in childhood. I can't remember how the doctors could work out that my condition had been around so long. But knowing I have this condition has made me ultra-paranoid about developing dementia, not surprisingly.

merylg, MEMarge, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From personal experience I would suggest that gluten can cause this problem. My brain fog/ability to think gets worse if I eat gluten despite testing negative for Crohn's disease. My balance, which is also affected by the NPH I mentioned in my previous post, is also affected badly by gluten. There is a known condition, quite newly described I think, called gluten ataxia. It definitely creates dementia-like symptoms in me. It's just a shame that doctors think I am one of the people easily led astray by what I read on the internet. But, I can assure you, I would start eating gluten again if I could do so without suffering worse than usual brain fog, and without my balance getting worse.

I fantasise about eating jam doughnuts quite often. :muted:

merylg, MEMarge, Mithriel and 3 others like this.
  5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

neurological illnesses from epilepsy to multiple sclerosis and psychiatry, all caused by autoantibodies binding to different parts of the brain and central nervous system. i like the part that says psychiatry can be a neurological illness explains a lot

merylg, MEMarge, Yessica and 3 others like this.