1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Public The cure for the flu is here

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Frogger, Feb 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...ug-one-pill-may-stop-the-flu-in-just-one-day/

Xofluza could become an essential drug if it is as effective as the study says. Xofluza will only be approved for use in Japan initially. Global rights have been acquired by Roche.

2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks like by "stop the flu in one day" they mean that an infected person will stop shedding the virus in one day.
    So, it cuts the usual duration of flu symptoms by about 1/3. It seems like it might cut the duration of symptoms to a single day if you could somehow take it as soon as you became infected - but how can you know that?
    Still, shortening the period that the patient is contagious might decrease the spread of the flu somewhat - though probably most of the passing of the virus happens before the onset of symptoms.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Yessica, ScottTriGuy, erin and 2 others like this.
  3. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Think of what Xofluza could do for people that are venerable to flu complications. I have always stayed hidden away during the flu season. I am afraid of the possible complications from getting a flu shot, and even more afraid of actually coming down with the flu. PwME likely stand the chance of getting more sick than the general population.

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...about-the-201718-flu-vaccine-04-october-2017/

4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering about this - something that mitigated flu for the vulnerable could save lives.

5. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great news!

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So long as the medication did not itself provoke issues for PwME. I wonder if the normal drug testing accounts for people with special vulnerabilities?

healthforall likes this.