1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The CMRC's new biomedical focus and big ambitions (my new blog)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Simon M, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks I'm still a bit confused because the CMRC initiative (supposedly bringing lots of people together ) plus ring fenced funding could have equalled quite a similar thing to the dementia platform couldn't it? but the MRC refused to take essentially exceptional measures for this illness and I've written to them expressly for this and you get the reply "this is not something they normally do" reply whilst at the same time doing it essentially for dementia. If they now will then , at last basically because they did it for HIV too but I'm not sure if it's the dementia platform example that is supposed to be behind this change of heart or if the platform idea allows them to put in money with a certain infrastructure in a certain way so it's more apoealling or if it's just CFS is now considered needy, worthy or viable and wasn't before...

ladycatlover likes this.
  2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The cost quoted by Alzheimer's uk was £26b p/a. That's 8 times more than us (although I think £3.3b low as MS quote £3-4b) for a population 4 times the size but probably requiring heavy care. Plus it's a number expected to increase. They had in 2014 £90/yr/person combined charity/gvt research spend. We have probably around £2-4 I think. They want a lot more and think funding should be commensurate with economic and human cost, our argument too. One different argument for increased ME spending is that it impacts prime years.

Alzheimer's uk say

"Dementia research should receive a level of investment that matches the economic and human cost of the condition. The total cost of dementia to the UK is estimated at £26 billion a year but only £90 is spent on dementia research per patient per year (Alzheimer's Society, 2014). This is only a fraction of the amount spent on research into some other health conditions. Progress is being made in securing further investment in dementia research. Since 2009/10, annual government and charity spend on dementia research has increased from £43.6 million to almost £74 million in 2013. However, in 2012/13 cancer research still received seven times that spent on dementia (Alzheimer's Society, 2014). The UK needs a national and long-term plan for dementia research that it is funded in proportion to its impact on society and with greater co-ordination between funders of dementia research"

ladycatlover likes this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

lycaena, Indigophoton, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  4. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara and Nancy Blackett like this.
  5. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it does concern dementia.

I've been following (subscribed to her blog so get email when a new post) a lady called Wendy with early onset dementia. She has a blog, and her book about living with dementia was published a couple of weeks (?) ago. Her latest blog post is Working Together to Beat Dementia Event….

I've thought for a while that the way dementia research is being carried out is much more inclusive of patients. Wendy is involved a lot speaking to researchers, and to students too. Some of the ways she manages remembering to do things seem quite useful for brainfog in ME too!

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just incase anyone else is affected or knows someone affected:
    https://www.s4me.info/posts/49017/

ladycatlover likes this.
  7. ladycatlover

Thanks for the link @Sly Saint. Wendy is too young to claim Attendance Allowance. She got PIP initially, but when it came up again she lost it all. Did the Mandatory Reconsideration, but didn't feel up to going on to fight at Tribunal - I did try to encourage her, but understand why she decided not to do it. I imagine if Wendy lost her PIP most others with early onset dementia are likely to as well. It's stuff like this, and also how ME patients are treated by PIP assessors and tribunals that really makes me MAD and wish I had sufficient health and knowledge to help people. I despair of this unfair and cruel system.

8. ladycatlover

I don't know if Wendy gets that. I imagine her daughters are onto anything like that. I only know Wendy through her blog, so don't really feel able to ask for more details.

Know this is getting a tad off topic, but we do get a council tax reduction of 1 band because we have a downstairs toilet/shower room because I'm disabled. I don't remember exactly what happened as it's several years ago now, but basically someone came from the council to inspect so they knew it was really there. Not been back since, but I expect they'll want to again at some stage. I don't think having PIP was a requirement, but don't remember.

Indigophoton and Sly Saint like this.