1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Canary: Trivialising long Covid? Scientists and media covering ME/CFS in Australia wrote the playbook

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A long article by Hannah Sharland with lots of details. The article can be listened to as well.

quote:

A group of Australian scientists recently gas-lit an entire global community of more than 65 million sick people. Specifically, on Long Covid Awareness Day, Queensland state department researchers, spearheaded by its chief health officer, pushed a half-baked study to trivialise the devastating condition. However, the situation has direct implications for people living with ME/CFS in Australia.

In the long-standing context of the medical and media establishments’ disgusting abuse of chronically ill people in Australia – it’s plain to see how it could do this so easily.

In particular, an elitist and vested psychologising lobby has hijacked care and support for millions of people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)- a similar post-viral disease. In Australia, as elsewhere, they have paved the way to punching down on long Covid patients. And if the experience of people living with ME/CFS is anything to go by, the abuse has only just begun.

https://www.thecanary.co/global/202...ering-me-cfs-in-australia-wrote-the-playbook/