1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Black Box of Meta-Analysis

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(was going to post this on another thread I set up, but the title to that thread has been changed so am posting this separately)
    full title
    The Black Box of Meta-Analysis: Personality Change
    August 11, 2019

https://replicationindex.com/2019/08/11/the-black-box-of-meta-analysis-personality-change/

Peter Trewhitt, JaneL, Wonko and 12 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The analyses of the Cochrane reviews by Mark Vink show how completely broken the process of meta-analysis can be, perfect example of garbage-in-garbage-out when biased reviewers are allowed exemptions from norms. Well, that and the initial peer review that was pretty brutal and still saw the GET review be slapped with a "low bias, high effect" label. All because people didn't give a damn about us and thought it was harmless since "there is no disease", nevermind that this is an opinion and a shitty one at that.

I have no idea how psychological research got granted so much affirmative action but that it happened this late and after so many harsh lessons about the value of the scientific method it has to rank as one of the top 10 blunders in the whole history of science, one that is filled to the brim with major disasters.

I'm sick of all this pseudoscience, it's turning out to be as bad for humanity as the major world wars. What a freaking mess.

Peter Trewhitt and JohnM like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have long considered that meta-analysis can reinforce problems if there are systemic methodological biases in a field. CBT/GET comes to mind.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precisely.

JohnM likes this.