1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So if 10% of the placebo group contract it, they assume that 10% of the "real vaccine" group (sorry, I know there's a technical word for it, but it's late and I can't think of it) have got it but been protected, regardless of whether they've been in the same surroundings? Hm.

Sarah94 and Sasha like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is actually the reasoning behind all trials that are analysed statistically. Vaccine studies just make it obvious.
    You use statistics because you know that the end result for any oe person involves a mish mash of unknowable causal factors. So you take two groups who on a random basis ought to share an equal amount of such factors and see if your treatment affects the number of good outcomes.

Michelle, Wits_End, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem comes at the next stage when you present the findings as "real" rather than statistical probability.

4. Jonathan Edwards

I don't quite follow that. All our knowledge of reality is based on probability, nothing is more real than that. But I agree that problems arise because false assumptions are often made in calculating probabilities or the extent to which they can be extrapolated to new contexts.

Michelle, FMMM1, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Capacity to manufacture adenovirus based vaccines is actually more forthcoming and straightforward than mRNA based vaccines (due to the novel envelope technology). I suspect CSL in Australia wants the AstraZeneca vaccine to be the first to be produced for this reason...

Having said that, Russia seems to be having problems: https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia...-plans-hit-production-speed-bumps-11605026802

Michelle, FMMM1, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hancock saying that they can start vaccinating people next month. This seems hugely over-optimistic to me?? What do you all think???

@Jonathan Edwards
    @Snow Leopard

MEMarge, Sean and JemPD like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

For those not in the UK, Hancock is the government Heath minister who has just done one of the weekly TV briefings.

As I understand it, one of the vaccines has completed stage 3 trials and has handed its data to the regulatory authorities in the USA and UK to ask for approval.

I think while they are waiting they have already started manufacturing the vaccines, and the UK has ordered millions of doses, so rolling out vaccination will depend on regulatory approval and manufacturers getting the doses to the NHS.

The government has presumably had some indication from them that the process will take weeks rather than months, so if this vaccine is approved, it could start being used before Christmas.

MEMarge, MeSci, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

It sounds very plausible to me. But it will only be a limited sector of the population - maybe 1-2 million.
    It might have a useful impact on health care workers, although many in the front line have already been infected.
    Unfortunately there is still no sign of any meaningful strategy for keeping infection under control over the next few months. I would strongly advise not to meet up with anyone new at Xmas because the period in the New Year when everyone ends up in hospital is likely to be a level worse than anything we have seen so far.
    I am guessing that things Weill begin to look sane by February-March.

MEMarge, merylg, Wits_End and 7 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  10. Snow Leopard

I suspect it will be largely symbolic, with doses given to some healthcare workers. (it may even be "preliminary approval" for front-line workers)

I doubt doses are going to be available to the general public then.

Michelle, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hinterland, MEMarge, Mij and 2 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

do we have the data from these trials ( probably not given commercial sensitivities)?
    does the lack of protection against transmission in many of the vaccines reduce deaths but promote positivity rates?
    given the fiasco that has been the test, trace and isolate system , the vaccination programme has a lot to live up to- and ow will this impact on the management of other acute conditions whilst the focus changes to delivery. There is only so much a system can prioritise and deliver.

it is all very well having a vaccine, it is quite another to deliver vaccinations, and there is not the realisation at large that despite having vaccine(s), life is not going to go back to normal for a significant time. It is seen as a panacea - the penny still has to drop and if this is not addressed prior to roll out we simply defer another uptick.

merylg, Wits_End, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  13. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was mention on the BBC news tonight of another vaccine - or was it treatment? - for people who had immune system problems which would prevent them from having the other vaccines. I think it was the Astra Zeneca one, but there wasn't much in the way of detail given. Does anyone know more?

Alton likes this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Several of the studies coauthored by Shane Crotty (who spoke on the recent TWIV about long-term immunity post-covid19)
    https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-684/

Antigen-Specific Adaptive Immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in Acute COVID-19 and Associations with Age and Disease Severity

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420312356

Immunological memory to SARS-CoV-2 assessed for greater than six months after infection
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.15.383323v1

Notably, while there is significant heterogeneity at all time points, there is no cause for concern about any lack of long term immunity. One of the potentially novel findings was greater amounts of memory B-cells at 6+ months than there were at earlier time periods.

The conclusion (as I have been saying all along), there is nothing particularly unusual about the long-term adaptive immune response to SARS-2 and immunity is likely to be long term, of a similar time frame to other viral infections.

15. Jonathan Edwards

I think it may be the monoclonal antibody cocktail from Astrazeneca. It is not a vaccine. It is a shot of protective antibodies. A sort of high tech version of anti-tetanus serum or gamma globulin for active hepatitis. It does not produce long term immunity but provides immediate treatment for someone infected.

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/astrazeneca-antibody-cocktail-1.5811763

17. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards

Professor Paul Knoepfler who is a stem cell scientist and science blogger (The Niche) recently wrote about the mRNA vaccines for Covid-19. The following excerpt got my attention....

"A possible wildcard with RNA vaccines their newness. Since we don’t know them that well, there is a remote possibility that something strange like auto-immunity to RNA could occur sometimes."

If this did end up being happening to some individuals do you think it would be within the realm of possibility that people with existing autoimmune conditions would be at increased risk of such a side effect compared to healthy individuals?

link to the post:

https://ipscell.com/2020/11/why-im-...-19-rna-vaccine-low-mostly-theoretical-risks/

alktipping, Michelle and ScottTriGuy like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

I don't think he is actually suggesting this as a possibility.He is just making up an example of what might be an unknown, unexpected effect.
    He could have suggested all sorts of other things, none of which we actually think is a likelihood.
    He is just saying that being new it might cause something we haven't thought of.

alktipping, JaneL, TrixieStix and 4 others like this.
  19. Snow Leopard

Autoimmunity is a risk of all vaccines, but such outcomes tend to be very rare. Studies of certain existing vaccines have shown increased risk of Thrombocytopenic Purpura and Guillain Barre Syndrome for example.

"Freund's adjuvant" for example is part of the process of deliberately inducing autoimmunity in animal models for the study of autoimmune phenomena.
    The key difference between this and human vaccines is the dosages are much higher.

The risk of additional autoimmunity exacerbation is unlikely, unless the autoimmune syndrome was originally triggered by similar antigens in the first place (eg. GBS that was triggered by a flu may be exacerbated by a flu immunisation).

A key point about the magnitude of risk of side effects between the new vaccine technologies (including viral vectors such as the AstraZeneca vaccine), DNA and RNA vaccines compared to inactivated virus and subunit vaccines is the dosages of the vector and nucleic acid based vaccines are typically several magnitudes of order higher, because the immune systems innate defences will prevent much of the DNA or RNA being transcribed in the first place.

The pharmaceutical companies seem to be erring on the side of high doses (because they're afraid of poor efficacy), which has had the consequence of a high rate of acute systemic reactions, eg fevers, swelling and the like.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Hutan, alktipping, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

alktipping, FMMM1, hinterland and 6 others like this.