1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lost or reduced sense of smell and loss of taste for me are sighns it multiplies in nose and mouth.

DokaGirl likes this.
  2. lansbergen

https://www.idexx.nl/nl/about-idexx/covid-19-resources/

IDEXX heeft inmiddels duizenden monsters van honden en katten onderzocht tijdens de validatie van een veterinaire diagnostische test voor COVID-19. Er zijn geen positieve uitslagen bij huisdieren gevonden voor SARS-CoV-2, de coronavirusstam die verantwoordelijk is voor de uitbraak van COVID-19 onder mensen. De monsters die zijn gebruikt voor de ontwikkeling en validatie van de test, werden verkregen uit monsters die oorspronkelijk waren ingestuurd naar het IDEXX Laboratorium voor PCR-testen.

No SARS-CoV-2 found in dogs and cats during valdation of the test in samples originally send in for PCR testing.

3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you Jonathan.

DokaGirl and lunarainbows like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if this has already been posted.

A clinical drug trial has been set up by the Research Center of the Montreal Heart Institute to determine whether a short-term treatment of Colchicine, an anti-inflammatory that targets the immune system and has been used to treat a few diseases, including gout. The medication will determine whether a short-term treatment will help reduce the risk of death and lung complication related to COVID-19. They have a website set up and are looking for positive COVID19 patients.

DokaGirl and Michelle like this.
  5. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied from the Worldwide spread and control thread
    Dr Tardif of the Institute of Cardiology of Montreal announced today that his group will be treating 6000 people suffering from Covid-19 with an anti-inflammatory called, "Koshesyn." That is not the correct spelling but I cannot find this med online so I have written it phonetically. He says that they hope to dampen and shorten the symptoms, so that patients do not risk going into full blown pneumonia.

The cases in Quebec are mushrooming, and though Prime minister Legault is fabulous in his daily briefings--level headed, organised, reassuring-- some folks are not listening to his request for confinement, for avoiding contact (even with relatives). Tonight all the stores are going to shut down, except for grocery stores and pharmacies and take out food outlets.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
    DokaGirl and Sarah94 like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied from the Worldwide spread and control thread
    Colchicine.

It blocks microtubular assembly and phagocyte motility. It might possibly block viral production. It is not usefully anti-inflammatory other than in gout. I would not put money on it but it may be worth trying.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
    ukxmrv, Simon M, TrixieStix and 6 others like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    This is the link to the Heart Institute's announcement:

https://www.icm-mhi.org/en/pressroo...tment-coronavirus-will-be-tested-canada-today

ETA: Link about drug in this study, Colchicine, which is used to treat gout and pericarditis: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682711.html

ETA#2: Other articles about this study contained a lot of advertising, which I didn't want to include here (forum rules); however, there are other media articles out there, if members want to read more.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2020
    Perrier, Mij and Woolie like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A virus that jumps species can indeed cause symptoms. The issue is the target molecule it uses to enter the cell. Viruses for other species will typically not bind to a human version. If it mutates enough to do so then it might indeed cause symptoms, because the critical issue is can it bind to its target receptor and enter the cell. Symptoms might not be identical across species though.

Perrier, DokaGirl and TrixieStix like this.
  9. alex3619

I do not know this drug and its not coming up on a Google search for me. It might be a misspelling. Antiinflammatories might indeed help, but could also increase lethality. This is because many will suppress the immune system, depending on their specific mode of action. If it acts on cyclooxygenase or a cortisol pathway it might be a problem

DokaGirl likes this.
  10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Referring to the loss of smell and taste in people who get sick, I haven't seen any mention of whether it comes back when the patient recovers. Does anyone know if it does?

11. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, Alex, it's Colchicine, as Dr Edwards pointed out. I kept hearing the word on the Radio Canada station and did not have spelling. Also, this morning I listened to English CBC and the chap was interviewing some researchers (USA and Cdn) and they said they are confident that 'in a couple of months' there will be the possibility to use repurposed drugs to address the severity and symptoms of Covid-19.

Simbindi and DokaGirl like this.
  12. alex3619

Thanks, I started to suspect that after I wrote the post, as there was another thread on Colchicine, though I cannot find it now, maybe it merged.

I don't doubt we will have repurposing. However the value of the drug to patients needs to be high or it will be hard to massively increase production, and we are going to need huge amounts of any drugs, especially if other patients on them can stay on them without supply vanishing.

Simbindi and Perrier like this.
  13. lansbergen

Should do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_bud

On average, the human tongue has 2,000–8,000 taste buds.[2] The average lifespan of these are estimated to be 10 days.[3]

Arnie Pye likes this.
  14. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simbindi and Hutan like this.
  15. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Leila, Sasha and oldtimer like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan and Cheshire like this.
  17. large donner

large donner Guest

Moved from Coronavirus: Worldwide spread and control

Its the duty of every citizen to roll up their sleeve and take the vaccine. Vaccines are safe period.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020
  18. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards - is this likely to be a safe treatment, in the sense of the plasma (or antibodies or whatever, if anything, they're extracting from it) not carrying other infections?

19. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The blood does need to be tested. This is an article about a recent Stanford investigation into other viruses that may be present. They are sharing it early at the request of the California Department of Public Health.
    Code:
    https://medium.com/@nigam/higher-co-infection-rates-in-covid19-b24965088333

Sasha likes this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah! Finally some clarity on that. For a while in many places the approach has been to make other viral tests, especially influenza, first and only if they are negative to test for COVID. That seemed to neglect the likelihood of there being co-infections, I'm pretty sure the body does not max out at one infection and decides that, "no, COVID, you will come back after Influenza has had its time".

I was mostly thinking that because of the habit medicine has that, somehow, disease always comes alone, that someone presenting with signs and symptoms of multiple diseases is a clear sign of somatisation and as such not to bother checking. This is a very dangerous and foolish belief and here it may have caused likely thousands of new infections among health care staff (and from them to vulnerable people), who likely continued to interact with co-infected patients assuming that if they had it they couldn't possibly be unlucky enough to have both.

This is a really weird myth and I hope it gets revisited considering the impacts it had here, it very likely killed some health care staff, but I have few expectations that it will.