The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MAIT cell activation and dynamics associated with COVID-19 disease severity

https://immunology.sciencemag.org/content/5/51/eabe1670.full

Simbindi, ladycatlover, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simbindi, Alton, Andy and 4 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Simbindi, Andy and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One treatment of high dose experimental Regeneron IV cocktail saved 90% of Ebola patients.

MEMarge, Simbindi, hinterland and 2 others like this.
  5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm speaking as a novice here(I mostly do :D ) . But weren't some phase 3-trials in their finishing stages these months and shouldn't results come out for a few of them? Obviously Russia is number one, but are any serious studies underway too?

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Phase 3 studies of what? Vaccines? Monoclonal antibodies? Antiviral drugs?

7. Wits_End

Simbindi, merylg, Andy and 5 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CSF leak in a women's brain from a COVID test. Could this be caused from a pre existing condition? Encephalocele?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2020
    Alton, Invisible Woman and ukxmrv like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The article I read said she had a very rare condition where the skull bones weren't fully fused causing an encephalocele.

MEMarge, Mithriel, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  10. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vaccines.

MEMarge likes this.
  11. Snow Leopard

MEMarge, Simbindi, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neuropathology of patients with COVID-19 in Germany: a post-mortem case series

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(20)30308-2/fulltext

https://twitter.com/user/status/1313267365954560001

https://twitter.com/user/status/1313352391589269504

https://twitter.com/user/status/1313252531795943424

13. Snow Leopard

Some interesting speculation there in a very long twitter thread. Some of the things he says I agree with (platelet activation and vasoconstriction in lung microvasculature, leading to a feedback loop), but I think the scenario he described is still incomplete. The activation itself is due to fast build up of immune complexes that is unable to be cleared, leading to the platelet activation in the first place. The fast build up occurs as the pendulum swings from interferon suppression early in the infection to the point which viral load is so high, leading to a rapid increase in immune activity.

The hypothesis about 5-HT build up due to lack of clearance is curious. (if it manages to clear the lung into regular circulation the 5-HT will no longer have much effect)
    I suggest this is a local effect, I don't believe there is any evidence of organ failure related to ARDS due to excess platelet derived 5-HT spill over into central circulation.

Farid also believes that longcovid is due to MCAS, but I find this hypothesis unconvincing, due to the lack of overlap of symptoms - (histamine related symptoms for example, and the lack of evidence for a "cytokine storm", even in severe patients)
    http://farid.jalali.one/MCAS_COVID.pdf
    edit - and this more fleshed out hypothesis that he cites: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971220307323

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Simbindi, Mij, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  14. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The brain stem is one of the systems they felt was wrong in ME. This sounds relevant to us. I had to look up myoclonus but it describes one of my most disabling symptoms.

Simbindi likes this.
  15. Wits_End

16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    ukxmrv likes this.
  17. Frankie

Frankie Established Member (Voting Rights)

Professor Stephen Holgate is to give Southampton University's Distinguished Lecture on Thursday 15th October from 18.00 to 19.00(BST). The subject is "Understanding and living with COVID-19 -- past, present and future?".

'He said "COVID-19 has caught us all by surprise. From the experience being gained both personally and professionally and in the wider environment, there are important lessons to be learnt - not only about this virus, but about how society ensures we are best prepared to cope now and into the future".'

It seems that the lecture is already oversubscribed but I have registered and am able to email a question to Professor Holgate for the question and answer session. What shall I ask and would it be from me personally or on behalf of the members of Science4ME?

Hutan, ukxmrv, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It should, I think be from you personally, though you could say you have discussed it with members of S4ME.

How about does he see any parallels with ME/CFS in the symptoms and in the way people with long Covid are being treated by doctors, for example being assumed to have mental health problems such as anxiety.

Or you could say that some doctors who have long Covid are saying on social media that they now have a better understanding of the symptoms of ME and how serious they are, and are sorry they haven't understood their patients with ME previously, and does he have any comment on whether he thinks research on long Covid should also encompass comparisons with ME.

Hutan, obeat, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  19. Frankie

This sounds good. I may go with that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2020
    MSEsperanza, MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  20. Frankie

:unsure:Not sure how to do this!

ukxmrv likes this.