1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The association between adolescent well-being and digital technology use (2019) Orben et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Cheshire, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-018-0506-1

This twitter thread explains how data have been distorted to fit the preconceived views of the authors of the primary studies:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1084842687755362305

A few tweets:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1084842711088279552

https://twitter.com/user/status/1084842734102421504

https://twitter.com/user/status/1084842738477080578

ladycatlover, Hutan, inox and 9 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

ladycatlover, inox, lycaena and 4 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Step 21496495944057 in the millennia-old "the youth are all wrong" struggle, aka the "get off my lawn" model.

It's really looking like pretty much all psychological research is cherry-picked and bias-driven. Not too much of it or most of it, nearly all of it.

ladycatlover, Hutan, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So does this mean that clinics treating youngsters with ME, will now stop threatening them with social workers because they are spending too much time on their phones/other screens?

ladycatlover, Hutan, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  5. Cheshire

Maybe if they eat too much potatoes?

ladycatlover, Hutan, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Are we the first generation that has been so vicious in our contempt and scorn for the following generation? Having benefited from free university education which virtually guaranteed a good job, being able to get on the housing ladder, having a good pension to look forward to, and using all the plastic bags I felt like, it doesn't feel quite right to pour scorn on the following generation who don't have any of those things and have spent 10 years of their life under austerity because we fucked up, plus have to start their working lives heavily in debt to receive a crap education which guarantees them a job in a call centre if they're lucky. Slagging off millenials doesn't do us any credit, and going on about screen time detracts from a lot of other issues we should be thinking about.

I teach millenials every Monday and they are absolutely fine, and if we had grown up like them we'd be just like them. They can eat all the avocado they like for all I care.

Except last Monday one of them really was an absolute fucking snowflake.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    ladycatlover, Hutan, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Probably not. As a member of the 'teenager' and then 'hippie' generation born in the years after the second world war, the whole rock music, 'free love' and the pill, etc. generation were very much looked at askance by my parents generation who had been through the war and life was serious and you were expected to be grown up and sensible all the time, at least in my experience.

ladycatlover, Hutan, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  8. Cheshire

The phenomenon of an older generation complaining about the following one goes back to Antiquity:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20...ple-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

ladycatlover, Hutan, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

Yes but normally the older generation have made a better world for the younger generation, so they are entitled to be resentful, jealous and moan a bit. We have made a worse world for the millenials and are now sticking the boot in and trying to blame them by pretending it's all about screen time, gap years, beards and lumberjack shirts. It just doesn't seem a very mature approach. Maybe it's because our generation never had to grow up and take responsibility.

But what do I know. I'm just an old man sitting on the sofa muttering grumpily to himself. Old men have always sat thinking moodily, I think I'm coming into my golden age.

ladycatlover, Hutan, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  10. TiredSam

andypants likes this.
  11. Cheshire

upload_2019-1-16_12-17-37.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    ladycatlover, Hutan, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wut? Well, that explains a lot. They truly do not understand how science works. Or just don't care? Or was that supposed to be sarcastic?

MEMarge likes this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Well, the eyeglasses aren't a cause but a correlation - obviously a result of the massive amounts of screen time turning the generation into myopic weaklings.

As for the potatoes, the Incas were into potatoes in a big way, and look at them now. :emoji_potato::cautious:

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Taken out of context, yes, that is concerning. The full quote from her tweet though is (my bolding)