1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Academic Minute: Leonard Jason, Depaul University - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, May 14, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Academic Minute: Leonard Jason, Depaul University - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I believe the label “chronic fatigue syndrome” has contributed to negative attitudes among health care providers towards patients with this disease. When my research team has evaluated different names for this illness, we found that the terms did influence attributions. Our results indicate a stereotyping effect among medical practitioners when a chronic illness’s name is characterized by a single, commonly-experienced symptom — chronic fatigue — as opposed to a name that uses medical terminology — ME.

About Academic Minute:
    Hosted by Dr. Lynn Pasquerella, President of the Association of American Colleges and Universities, The Academic Minute features a different professor each day, drawing experts from top colleges and universities from across the country. You’ll enjoy updates on groundbreaking research and how that research helps us understand and solve the big problems that matter to us all.

AliceLily, ahimsa, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

those who are aware of the intent of the cdc in the past know its sole intent was to disparage and make light of the illness previously known as M E .. unfortunately the terms cfs has been very successful in doing exactly what it was created for .