1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing the ‘seizure scaffold’: What can experimental simulation tell us about functional seizures?, 2020, Tiefenbach, Stone et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.epilepsybehavior.com/article/S1525-5050(20)30698-3/fulltext
    Sci hub, don't know why but it links to different study.

ETA: Added information about Sci Hub returning a weird result.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

The doi seems to be wrong, and I can't find the article in any of the usual places. It seems to be a conference abstract of some type, a brief report.

Awful, awful stuff, from what I've read so far. The definite implication is that "functional" seizures are generated from the same source, or at least a similar source, to faked seizures. Otherwise, why else draw the comparison? I'm assuming from the abstract that observer raters weren't blind to the fact that these participants were asked to fake their seizures. So they knew these were fakers, and so equated them in their minds with those "functional" people.

Seems to me a study about what ordinary people believe a seizures looks like. Nothing else.

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The DOI is correct, the materials science article that it incorrectly links to has a different DOI.

Mithriel likes this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sci hub link not working - goes to a different study?

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yeah, I don't know why that is the case but I've removed the unhelpful link - I don't have an alternative.

alktipping likes this.
  6. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2020-11-21_11-36-28.jpeg

Pure bilge ...I guess that some people do fake seizures (why I have no idea) but since the presentation is so varied even with seizures that have an attributable cause ..I’m not sure that this tells us anything ...perhaps they can share this with the rsc and they can use it in acting classes for episodes of casualty?

7. MFraumeni

MFraumeni Established Member

Who knows why people might fake seizures, perhaps for attention seeking, who knows. I would think that if the researchers really do want to investigate the pathophysiology of functional seizures, they could use tools like functional imaging - functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), positron emission tomography (PET), electroencephalography (EEG), magnetoencephalography (MEG), near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS), and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).

A bit more info on this paper here: https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/docs/defa...y-2020/jakov-tiefenbach.pdf?sfvrsn=f2c9b48e_2

alktipping and Lisa108 like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why does it have to be explained to neurologists that people who don't work in medicine do no such thing as having:
    What a load of crap. It's your job to think about these things. That's why YOU think about these things. NOBODY ELSE thinks about things like that, it's not a thing normal people do, having beliefs about how neurological symptoms present. STOP PROJECTING your personal perspective unto unrelated circumstances.

The level of narcissism involved in demanding that reality must conform to their personal experience of life is only outdone by the fact that otherwise smart people unrelated to those efforts look at this and think it's credible. Ugh.