1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing for exposure to mold/mould/mycotoxins

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Hutan, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A recent paper reported on two tests for mycotoxins (toxins produced by fungal species) that patients of Nova Southeastern University’s (NSU) Institute of Neuro-Immune Medicine (INIM) clinic in Florida had been asked to do. The clinic is prescribing treatments (glutathione and charcoal) on the basis of these tests.

I thought it would be useful to have a look at the science behind tests for mycotoxins.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  2. Hutan

Another source (Merritt Wellness Centre, which seems to have its own conflicts of interest) says

3. Hutan

The link in the Merritt Wellness Center page goes to a pretty interesting CDC article with references, copied below:
    The takeaways do indeed seem to be that
    • at the time of writing, there was no FDA-approved diagnostic test for mycotoxins in human urine
    • mycotoxins are found in the urine of healthy people, and low levels of mycotoxins in food are common
    I'm definitely not arguing that a mouldy house is healthy, or that inhaled mycotoxins can't cause disease. I'm open to the possibility of mycotoxins playing some part in the onset of ME/CFS. But, so far, I haven't seen much to suggest that these tests for mycotoxins in urine are useful in determining treatments for people with ME/CFS symptoms.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    CRG, mariovitali, Tara Green and 12 others like this.
  4. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan
    Using a custom-made information extraction tool i submitted a query of mycotoxin-associated keywords in order to get a ranked result of medical topics related to ME/CFS research. Here are the results :

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.28.27.png

DAMP = "damage-associated molecular patterns" is the most highly ranked medical topic given the query

We see that detoxification is ranked highly (detoxification is needed per @Hutan post above) . Of special note : Many concepts related to Liver Injury and Liver-related concepts are there as well. Liver is the most important thing when detoxification is concerned.

Hutan, Barry, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  5. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me my dad and nephew all have breathing issues around moulds as well as fungal spores especially open soils and woodland. Damp buildings are bad for everyone though.

So I absolutely know mould is a massive problem for health. But most of us can’t go and live in the desert. Also I’ve heard the dust can be health issue there.
    Mainly I guess the problem is more often a failure to account for climate than purely the climate itself. The badly built badly maintained homes that many of us can’t afford to escape from. I would like to move to a sandy soil seaside area but that’s also logistically outside mine and many of us’s reach at moment.

From what I can tell it’s quite difficult to extract practical and reliable medical information from someone trying to sell you something. Also even management endeavours that seem reasonable and sensible are actually difficult to achieve or sustain given the pervasiveness of this stuff in a damp country. I also don’t enjoy learning about the known and potential harms when they seem so challenging to counter.

But if we could find out through reliable testing and then use well evidenced treatments that would offer far more than we have now in potential recovery terms.

Thanks for making the thread. I will check back in later for all ya updates.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mould is certainly something I have wondered about, as we lived in a house with significant mould in the bedroom for a fair while.