1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tantali fibromyalgic supplicium: Is there any relief with the antidepressant employment? A systematic review

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Widespread musculoskeletal pain characterizes fibromyalgia (FM), accompanied by sleep, fatigue, and mood problems. Chronic stress and depression play a crucial role in the etiology and pathophysiology of FM. They may contribute to a dysregulation of the central pain mechanisms together with the neuroendocrine and immune systems.

Pharmacological treatments are the first-line therapy to reduce the symptoms of FM. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) indicated gabapentinoid, pregabalin, duloxetine, and milnacipran for adult patients. An alternative approach is widely used, based on therapies including interventions in patient education, behavioral therapy, exercise, pain management, and a healthy diet.

A systematic search was performed on PubMed, MEDLINE, EMBASE, and Web of Science databases. The authors established the selection, inclusion, and exclusion criteria. We found a total of 908 articles. This systematic review will include ten articles selected after excluding duplicates and reading the abstracts and full texts.

All studies related the effect of drugs to various symptoms caused by fibromyalgia patients with depression, such as insomnia/sleepiness, depression, suicide, difficulty walking/working, pain, fatigue, and nervousness.

Although, we concluded that antidepressant drugs are effective in treating depression and pain in fibromyalgia, further studies are needed to understand the etiology of this disease and to find a combination of therapies to increase tolerability and adherence of the patient to the drug, decreasing the adverse effects.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661822004935

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I pride myself on being able to find and understand information very efficiently, but I have no idea what 'Tantali fibromyalgic supplicium' means in this context. I suppose it's probably latin, but Google is not much help either.

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tantalo (singular) in Italian (via GoogleTrans) means 'so much' while supplicium in Latin includes the meaning 'injury' - I think the authors are simply using a phrase to give emphasis to the pain of Fibro without acknowledging a definitive diagnostic syndrome - though I may be 'over interpreting'.