1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

TAKING THE GLUTEN CHALLENGE- THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT BLOG

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by hellytheelephant, Jun 23, 2019.

1. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@hellytheelephant I love your style in the face of misery! And I love those sandwich sculptures. I hope you're enjoying the benefits of being gluten free.

3. hellytheelephant

@Trish - I came off the gluten on the day of the blood test, and am back to what passes as my 'normal' self. I get the test results this week.

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope you start feeling better quickly, Helly!

5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had a coeliac screen which came back negative, but am so tempted to try gluten free again for a month.

6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I was tested for coeliac, I was already on a gluten free diet, so unbeknown to me at the time my negative test results were completely unreliable.

However, when I found this out I decided against taking ‘the gluten challenge’ and asking for a retest, because I don’t know that I would gain anything from knowing definitively if I am coeliac or rather have a non coeliac gluten intolerance. The only treatment for both is a gluten free diet, so a differential diagnosis would have no practical implications.

7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A negative coeliac test (as long as you had gluten in your diet at the time of testing) means you do not have the specific gluten allergy involved in coeliac disease, however if you feel there are problems, there is still the possibility of either a wheat (as distinct to gluten) allergy or non coeliac gluten intolerance.

Presumably for people with ME, we have the same incidence of coeliac disease or of a non coeliac wheat allergy as the general population, which is relatively low. However the association of non coeliac gluten intolerance with ME does now seem to be reliably documented, so we do have a higher possibility than the general population of having gluten intolerance.

It seems to me that advice on investigating the food intolerances potentially associated with ME and any appropriate consequent diet modification should be standard practice for ME [medical management]. Obviously a differential diagnosis of coeliac disease or other food allergies contrasted to food intolerances would be part of the dealing with any identified problems.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    hellytheelephant, MeSci and Trish like this.
  8. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

exactly. i am familair with the shortcomings of the test. I have done a month gluten-free before - it was hard to tell if things were better or not. I felt like my stomach was little better but perhaps not other symptoms. But with the cycle that I go through it is really hard to distinguish what is having an effect or what is natural variation.

I am also tempted to try Symprove for a couple of months. Anyone tried that?

9. hellytheelephant

I have been on GF for about 3 years prior to this, although I was never really sure if it made that much difference. This Gluten Challenge has convinced me! I was so much worse within a few days and actually had new problems...

Personally I would not recommend the challenge as you run the risk of really putting your body and mind through a lot of stress. If the test had been positive I would have faced weeks of waiting for an endoscopy- with no treatment or cure at the end of it. I already have a LOAD of incurable chronic conditions where Drs have ended up telling me I just have to live with it. SORRY- RANT OVER!!!

I went to see the GP specifically to get my symptoms re Gluten on my records: I do not want hospitals or other GP's assuming I have just jumped on the bandwagon and given up gluten as a fad.

10. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is interesting:

https://www.beyondceliac.org/research-news/are-you-always-gluten-sensitive-for-life/

11. Sasha

Also interesting! Couldn't see a date on this but it suggests that coeliac patients have a detectable immune reaction to gluten within two hours of exposure, in which case what's the point of making sick people make themselves sicker by eating gluten for up to 8 weeks for a test?

Not also the telling, “For all the years that we’ve known about celiac disease, persons have told us that they had these acute reactions, but many experts in the field dismissed them as being just in the person’s mind,” says Anderson. “Here we are now, a hundred years after celiac disease was discovered, suddenly discovering, yes, the patients were right.”

o_O

https://celiac.org/glutenexposuremarkers/

12. Sasha

13. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

When I held lectures for newly diagnosed celiacs, part of it included talking about what happens when someone is exposed to gluten by accident. Some don't feel much, others get increased symptom burden for months... though I'm not sure about the "don't feel much" patients, I wonder if they have been asked about stomach problems, not say fatigue.

One of the recent findings from the HUNT cohort study is that many pwCeliac do not present with the "classic" stomach problems, but rather with fatigue (which could be due to anemia from low iron absorption in the gut).

Google translated article about the findings: Many people walk around with celiac disease without knowing about it

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  14. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Sasha

This is dated October 2021 and describes a gut biopsy test that seems to successfully identify coeliac disease in people who hadn't been eating gluten because 'Although most of the inflammation of the small intestine disappears on a gluten free diet, we now know that there is a permanent change to the gluten specific T cells'.

The key bit, broken up for ease of reading:

16. hellytheelephant

I wrote the Blog at the top of this page in 2019. I tested negative and have been on the Cheapo- version of GF ever since. This year I have had a lot of digestive pain, and was retested. Negative.
    Have been so poorly that the GP said making me do the Gluten Challenge again just isn' t viable.

I have joined a Gluten free forum and apparently people often go under the radar with both false positives and negatives.

MeSci, Sasha and Trish like this.
  17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've never been through a gluten challenge.

I have had some testing for coeliac disease - a blood test, and biopsies during an endoscopy (looking at my stomach, not the other end), all of which proved negative.

I gave up gluten for five years (sometime after those negative tests), and I found it helpful, but sadly I have dropped off the wagon.

But once someone knows they get benefits from being gluten-free what is the point of doing a gluten challenge and getting a diagnosis of coeliac disease? What benefits are there in getting a coeliac diagnosis?

hellytheelephant likes this.
  18. Sasha

Sorry to hear that you've been so poorly, Helly.

I can believe there are a lot of false negatives. The advice about how much gluten to eat for the challenge, and for how long, is all over the place. It seems to be a largely evidence-free zone, as far as I can easily see. And Dr Will Bulsiewicz, in his book 'Fibre Fuelled', says that the blood test isn't sensitive enough and that if you suspect you have coeliac, you should skip the blood test and either have the genetic test or biopsies.

hellytheelephant and Arnie Pye like this.
  19. Sasha

What I'm reading says that if you know you have coeliac then you'll be much more motivated to properly follow a strict gluten-free diet (not everyone with coeliac has symptoms but the damage is being done to your gut as you continue to consume gluten); and I think that you might get followed up routinely for possible complications of coeliac.

In some countries (I don't know which) I have the impression that you get financial support to help you follow the special diet.

Another benefit would be that if you have coeliac, there's a much higher chance that your close relatives do too, and so you can helpfully warn them to get tested (again, they may be symptom-free but having their guts damaged).

hellytheelephant, Trish and Arnie Pye like this.
  20. hellytheelephant

For me the advantage would be getting a referral and some professional advice on my diet, as I am losing weight and having to take stronger pain medication.- neither of which I'm happy about.
    Hence The Chronic Elephant Blog has gone a bitquiet atm.

MeSci, Arnie Pye, Trish and 1 other person like this.