Systemic antibody responses against human microbiota flagellins are overrepresented in chronic fatigue syndrome patients, 2022, Vogl et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Sep 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating disease with an unclear etiology and pathogenesis. Both an involvement of the immune system and gut microbiota dysbiosis have been implicated in its pathophysiology. However, potential interactions between adaptive immune responses and the microbiota in ME/CFS have been incompletely characterized.

Here, we profiled antibody responses of patients with severe ME/CFS and healthy controls against microbiota and viral antigens represented as a phage-displayed 244,000 variant library. Patients with severe ME/CFS exhibited distinct serum antibody epitope repertoires against flagellins of Lachnospiraceae bacteria. Training machine learning algorithms on this antibody-binding data demonstrated that immune responses against gut microbiota represent a unique layer of information beyond standard blood tests, providing improved molecular diagnostics for ME/CFS.

Together, our results point toward an involvement of the microbiota-immune axis in ME/CFS and lay the foundation for comparative studies with inflammatory bowel diseases and illnesses characterized by long-term fatigue symptoms, including post–COVID-19 syndrome.

Open access, https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abq2422

Snow Leopard, sebaaa, Lilas and 17 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Funding Information
    Austrian Science Fund (FWF): Erwin Schrödinger fellowship J4256
    Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI): Ramsay Award

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  4. Hutan

case selection is probably good then

That's a lot of peptides. Presumably there is the possibility that these little bits of protein antigens might join together to make a protein that people with ME/CFS are actually reacting to, but there may be no reaction to the protein fragments. It might be like a key that fits into a lock - if you take the key and smash it up into little pieces, none of the pieces are going to open the lock. I don't know if there are many examples of this technology finding useful things?

So, that's sounding a bit disappointing. Clearly peptides are binding in both healthy controls and the people with ME/CFS. And no single peptides bound at significantly different rates in the two groups.

This figure shows the interesting finding:
    Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 3.00.29 pm.png

ME/CFS patients were found to be a lot more likely to have antibody responses to peptides associated with bacterial flagella (the 'tails' that some bacteria have to help with movement). Also Figure 1E, showing that the ratio of antibody responses in ME/CFS and controls is about 3 to 1 for the flagella-related antigens, but pretty much 1 to 1 for the rest of the antigen groups.

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 3.23.53 pm.png

5. Hutan

So, then they tried to narrow down the particular bacteria that might be eliciting the antibody response.
    Some of the detail is given in Table 2a below. Note the ratios on the right (incidence in ME/CFS vs controls). The biggest ratio is for a Legionella flagella with 15% of ME/CFS patients responding and only 2.5% of healthy controls responding. I'm not too sure what to make of this, as the differences don't look too compelling. It's certainly not a situation of overwhelming levels of response in the ME/CFS people versus basically no response in controls.

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 3.36.11 pm.png
    They then went on to use machine learning to develop a sort of biomarker signature that supposedly would identify ME/CFS patients. Here's the 15 top performing peptides:

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 3.52.57 pm.png

The story, if there really is one here, is looking pretty complicated. And I wonder to what extent different diets might be influencing things.

They also looked at parameters in the blood, finding lower creatine kinase in the ME/CFS group (as previously found in UK-MEB samples), but not finding much else of note. We didn't get very excited by that finding when it was first reported, because of the risk that the levels are associated with activity - and there are big differences in activity levels between the severe ME/CFS patients and the controls.

They next tried making machine-learning generated algorithms to identify the ME/CFS individuals from the controls based on the blood test parameters, and found that it sorted the patients from controls better than the antibody models did. But, that might just be largely based on the creatine kinase, with the activity level confounding. And then, of course, they made biomarker models with the antibody results and the blood test results.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    cassava7, ukxmrv, RedFox and 9 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Discussion section

So, this is interesting - an increased response to Lachnospiraceae flagellins was found in the ME/CFS group, and has been reported in Crohn's disease.
    They do discuss the possibility that the overlapping findings in the two diseases might be due to problems in the lab processes, but they don't think so. They also discuss the concern about creatine kinase just being a marker of activity, and the possibility that diet, or long periods of not eating might be contributing to the differences.

All up, the antibodies to some bacteria proteins is interesting, but with no clear differences between patients and controls (there's a lot of overlap), I'm less excited about this than some other recent findings.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for a very careful analysis, @Hutan.

I am quite interested in the idea that PWME might be making immune responses to endocytosed bacterial components in gut more than healthy people. This would not be autoimmunity, or need to be anything specific to an antigen.

The gut immune system is normally suppose to 'ignore' bacterial antigens an just chew them up or keep them out. If it got preoccupied with making antibodies that might have systemic signalling effects.

This would likely be due to a shift in T cell control - maybe cytotoxic CD57 or regulatory T.
    The antibodies would be part of a generalised response under T cell permission. This would be reminiscent of the situation in Reiter's syndrome or Ankylosing Spondylitis. And of course Crohn's disease is in that group.

Like you, I am not very convinced this will pan out but I think the pattern of data might mean something interesting.

8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Wikipedia:
    "Endocytosis is a cellular process in which substances are brought into the cell. The material to be internalized is surrounded by an area of cell membrane, which then buds off inside the cell to form a vesicle containing the ingested material. Endocytosis includes pinocytosis (cell drinking) and phagocytosis (cell eating). It is a form of active transport."

I think Maureen Hanson did some work on vesicles - of course this is potentially an immune response to the vesicle contents(?) i.e. rather than abnormalities in vesicles (numbers of vesicles, sizes ---). So Hanson's work wouldn't necessarily have turned up anything.

Again (common response from me) I wonder if GWAS will turn up something e.g. flag up immune genes which increase/reduce risk --- highlights the potential benefits of GWAS.

RedFox, obeat and ukxmrv like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Trish likes this.