Symptom persistence and biomarkers in post-COVID-19/chronic fatigue syndrome – results from a prospective observational cohort 2023, Scheibenbogen et

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

preprint

Abstract
    Introduction Post-COVID-19 syndrome (PCS) is characterized by a wide range of symptoms, predominantly fatigue and exertional intolerance. While disease courses during the first year post infection have been repeatedly described, little is known about long-term health consequences.

Methods We assessed symptom severity and various biomarkers at three time points post infection (3-8 months (mo), 9-16mo, 17-20mo) in 106 PCS patients with moderate to severe fatigue and exertional intolerance. A subset of patients fulfilled diagnostic criteria of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (PCS-ME/CFS) based on the Canadian Consensus Criteria.

Results While PCS-ME/CFS patients showed persisting symptom severity and disability up to 20mo post infection, PCS patients reported an overall health improvement. Inflammatory biomarkers equally decreased in both groups. Lower hand grip force at onset correlated with symptom persistence especially in PCS-ME/CFS.

Discussion Debilitating PCS may persist beyond 20mo post infection, particularly in patients fulfilling diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.04.15.23288582v1

Edit: Now published.
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(23)00323-1/fulltext See abstract in post #9

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2023
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

106 patients with persistent symptoms following a Covid infection examined, 55 of those met the CCC ME/CFS diagnostic criteria, presumably at 6 months (baseline). They are the PCS-ME/CFS patients. The remaining 51 are PCS.

This is an interesting study as they followed up at 9 to 16 months and 17 to 20 months.

At baseline 4/55 of the PCS-ME/CFS people were housebound (this is said to be Bell score <20); 53/55 were unable to work at all ( not full or part-time) (Bell score< 70). The PCS-ME/CFS people had a median score of 40 at baseline. At followup, 7/55 had improved substantially.

Great to see acknowledgement that the PHQ9 has low specificity for depression measurement in ME/CFS, as it includes questions about fatigue, cognition and sleep.

I was surprised to see how little improvement there was over time.

3. Hutan

A relatively low level of POTS and orthostatic hypotension was identified in both PCS-ME/CFS and PSC at 6 months (there is a problem with the maths; 5/42 for POTS in PSC is reported as 7% - actually 12%; 5/44 for POTS in ME/CFS is reported as 11%).

At followup, none of the PSC who had POTS or orthostatic hypotension still measured positive, but two tested positive for the first time. In the PSC-ME/CFS, 3/44 still had POTS and one tested positive to orthostatic hypotension. So, there was a trend of decreasing orthostatic issues over time, but the incidence was pretty low throughout and messy. It's a shame that there were no healthy controls.

To me, it's suggesting that the measurement approach isn't sensitive enough. We know from testing at home, that many of us can test positive on bad days and negative on good days, or even at different times of the day. I think there needs to be use of wearable technology to measure orthostatic impacts in real life, to understand what is useful for diagnosis.

4. Hutan

It's interesting to note that 49/55 of the PCS-ME/CFS are female, but only 35/51 of the PCS are female.

They only assessed hand grip in females and had a lot of drop outs at follow-up, only 37 PCS-ME/CFS and 25 PSC. So, the results are interesting, but also messy.

There's quite a bit in this paper, although I think the findings need some careful interpretation which I don't have time for right now. I think the negative findings around the inflammatory markers are worth noting.

I think one to come back to when the final paper comes out.

5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be great to come up with a set of brief but telling activities, that could be sent out as prompts to people at random times during the day and early evening, asking (as long as it's safe and feasible where they currently are) to do X, Y or Z as soon as possible.

We're all so used to making adjustments to enable essential living activities that it'd take something along these lines to reveal the true picture. Otherwise, if we know that today we're going to be doing a series of small tests, we'll postpone other stuff without even thinking about it.

6. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

The low incidence of POTS is surprising to me. I know Klimas, Rowe, Systrom, and probably others would say the prevalence is much much higher.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another group also found POTS prevalence decreased with time in long Covid:
    “Long-Haul COVID Patients: Prevalence of POTS Are Reduced but Cerebral Blood Flow Abnormalities Remain Abnormal with Longer Disease Duration”
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36292552/

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another study by the same Dutch team found:
    “Table 3 shows the baseline characteristics
    of the ME/CFS patients with a normal heart rate and blood pressure response and ME/CFS patients with POTS. Patients with POTS had a shorter duration of disease and were younger (both p<0.0001).”
    https://esmed.org/MRA/mra/article/view/2891/193546174

9. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The paper has now been published in the Lancet eClinicalMedicine https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589537023003231?dgcid=author
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(23)00323-1/fulltext
    Summary

Background
    Post-COVID-19 syndrome (PCS) is characterised by a wide range of symptoms, primarily fatigue and exertion intolerance. While disease courses in the early months post-infection have been well-described, the long-term health consequences for patients with PCS with disabling fatigue remain unclear.

Methods
    In this prospective observational cohort study, we evaluated symptom severity and various biomarkers, including hand grip strength (HGS), cardiovascular function, and laboratory parameters, in 106 patients with PCS with moderate to severe fatigue and exertion intolerance at three time points after infection (3–8, 9–16, and 17–20 months). The study was conducted at the Charité’s Fatigue Centre and the Charité’s outpatient clinic for neuroimmunology at Berlin, Germany from July 16, 2020, to February 18, 2022. A subset of patients (PCS-ME/CFS) met the diagnostic criteria for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome according to the Canadian Consensus Criteria (CCC). The aim was to determine differences in the disease course between the two patient groups (i.e., PCS vs PCS-ME/CFS) and identify correlating biomarkers.

Findings
    Patients with PCS-ME/CFS reported persistently high severity of most symptoms up to 20 months after infection, while patients with PCS showed overall health improvement. Although fatigue and post-exertional malaise (PEM), hallmarks of post-infectious fatigue syndromes, were still evident in both groups, they remained more pronounced in PCS-ME/CFS. Inflammatory biomarkers decreased in both groups, but not antinuclear antibodies. Lower HGS at onset correlated with symptom persistence, particularly in patientswith PCS-ME/CFS.

Interpretation
    Our findings suggest that PCS can persist beyond 20 months post-infection and encompass the full scope of post-infectious ME/CFS as defined by the CCC. Sub-classifying patients with PCS based on the CCC can assist in the management and monitoring of patients with PCS-ME/CFS due to their persistently higher symptom severity.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2023
    Sean, Michelle, Dolphin and 4 others like this.
  10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I understand correctly, the selection criteria already required persistent moderate to severe fatigue and exertion intolerance with PEM.

Therefore the study is unable to give an estimate of how many Long Covid patients have ME/CFS except that it is likely smaller than the 51% (55/106) found here.

RedFox, EndME, Sean and 5 others like this.