1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Swedish Government: More knowledge is needed to better support people with CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by mango, May 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. mango

inox and Andy like this.
  3. mango

4. mango

Have you had a look at the comments on Dagens Medicin's article? The website is only for healthcare professionals. Every time they publish something on ME, the clowns show up... For example, this comment:
    https://www.dagensmedicin.se/artiklar/2018/05/07/kunskap-om-kronisk-trotthet-for-lag/

"DL Stockholm 7 May 2018 13:33
    The knowledge is sufficient as it is. "ME" has been researched since the 60's and no studies have shown intrinsic neurological or autoimmune disease. Neither PET, SPECT, CT, MR, spinal taping, samples or even patomorphological examination of nerve cells have shown anything different in either brain or spinal cord. What are we to learn more about? Is the government starting to create a new "electricity allergy"? Are we back in the 90's again? Mass hysteria is undoubtedly on the rise now when Aftonbladet [one of Sweden's largest evening newspapers] has taken on the role of hobby doctor. And when it's election year, any silliness at all can come pouring out of the government office. We live in Absurdistan..."

And they are supposed to be healthcare professional?? :wtf::banghead:

However, there's also a commenter called Sten, who is doing an absolutely brilliant job every single time! He's amazing, and I'm super grateful for all the effort he puts into writing excellent comments, over and over again :thumbup::trophy@

inox, Snow Leopard, petrichor and 7 others like this.
  5. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here’s to Sten, where ever and whoever you are!:emoji_beers::emoji_clap:

petrichor, Inara, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with the applauds to Sten. I´m sure he is reading this. You are doing a really great job!
    Actually, that comment can´t let me down. There is a group of unknowledgeable people, whatever agenda they have, and they will surely continue until, and even after, ME/CFS has been confirmed genetically and/or with a biomarker. I prefer to ignore them, and look at all the good that has come out since the last 6 months. The tide is unstoppable now, in my opinion.

Writers like that one, is only making himself a fool. It will be evident sooner or later.

7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. The ignorance. The wilful disdain. Then the casual racism at the end. He's also wrong on several fronts.

petrichor, mango and andypants like this.
  8. mango

Kalliope, inox, Clementine and 2 others like this.
  9. mango

Here's a news article from 2009, about the book one of the above experts wrote.
    https://www.metro.se/artikel/det-kan-vara-farligt-att-vara-sjukskriven-xr

(I haven't been able to find anything about their views on ME, CFS or MUS etc specifically. Except for the mention of "yuppie's disease" in the quote above.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Kalliope, Esther12, inox and 5 others like this.
  10. mango

In the attached slide we perhaps learn a bit about the expert's understanding of correlation and causation?

Very rough translation:

"Longterm sick leave
    Earlier means more dangerous

Those who take early retirement due to an illness or disability at a young age (25-30 years old) run approx 7-8 times higher risk of dying early compared to people of the same age who have not taken early retirement due to illness.

It is less dangerous to smoke 20 cigarettes a day than to take early retirement due to an illness."

Source: https://slideplayer.se/slide/11266026/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Inara, Kalliope, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  11. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What an absurd conclusion....? Surley the risk for early death are linked to, you know - beeing sick???

So, actually beeing sick have more of an impact on your health than smoking, who would have known......? :emoji_face_palm:

andypants, EzzieD, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This does not look good.

andypants, mango, Inara and 4 others like this.
  13. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, because of poverty and disease. It is well-known that richer people get older in average.

andypants, rvallee and mango like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is true that "stress" is not a disease, it is a mostly meaningless buzzword used to mean all sorts of things.
    See:
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1745691616635593

Leaving work due to "stress" is a bad idea. Instead there are more meaningful underlying reasons.

But ME or CFS are not due to stress. So it seems strange that they'd have someone who researchers "poor health from seeking healthcare". https://katalog.uu.se/profile/?id=N2-1108

Fatigue syndrome - a diagnosis with scientific deficiencies Per Lytsy
    https://translate.google.com/transl.../Functions/OldArticleView.aspx?articleId=9547

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    andypants and mango like this.
  15. mango

The project manager at SBU is Agneta Pettersson. Her interests seem to be depression and anxiety... at least according to this and this.

inox, andypants and Kalliope like this.