1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Submissions sought for special issue of International Journal of Clinical Medicine (IJCM) on "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Tom Kindlon, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just in case this is of interest to anyone. Not a journal I'm familiar with from memory so may not have much status.

Webdog, Obermann, Wonko and 7 others like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

It's a part of Scientific Research Publishing (SCRIP):
    Wikipedia has a longer discussion of their misdeeds :p

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Valentijn is there a list of journals which can’t be referenced on Wikipedia? I tried to include a citation to a paper in Frontiers in Pediatrics (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2017.00121/full) which was immediately reverted with a message saying this citation should not be on Wikipedia??? It is a peer-reviewed journal which meets WP:MEDRS, so I am wondering what the issue is.

MEMarge and Samuel like this.
  4. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

am i the only crackpot who wishes that those who get conspicuously outraged over those two problems that have snappy epithets [and get press and academic interest] -- namely "predatory journals" and "fake news" -- would lend a !@#!$ hand over such things as pace and the lancet, bristol and qmul and kcl failing to act like universities, the cowardice of plos one, and smc literally-1930s-style propaganda?

i GET that pj and fn are a problem. i KNOW they are a problem because i cannot think of many things that are more predatory and fake than those institutions' actions re m.e. WE are the prey. not elsevier!

end of rant! brain not working well but i hope you get the idea! carry on!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Webdog, MEMarge, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

There are other rules, about not making entries based on the results of single studies (reviews, metanalyses and books are to be preferred) - could you have run into one of those?

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Woolie no I don’t think so, as it’s an extensive review document. The message I received specifically said there was an issue with the Frontier journal, but I can’t imagine why as it’s legit???

Woolie likes this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Oh sorry, didn't realise it was a review. I'm surprised too. Frontiers publishes a range of articles (some great, some pretty bad), and is certainly not an outlet celebrated for its exceptional quality, but I can't see any reason why it should be subject to a blanket WP ban.

MEMarge likes this.
  8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frontiers published the international paediatric primer - given the issues with wiki this may explain a lot

Lidia, MEMarge and Woolie like this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You know we could start our own journal, a legitimate one, we could call it the "Journal of ME/CFS Research" or something catchier.

It should be open access and feature legitimate research papers that are submitted and vetted by a team of patients and ME/CFS medical experts before publication. I'm guessing both groups could be assembled.

Trish and MEMarge like this.