1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sub-maximal endurance exercise does not mediate alterations of somatosensory thresholds. Kortenjann et al. 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by John Mac, Jul 1, 2020.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mentions ME and CFS

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-67700-4

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This study is notable for using a variety of pain threshold tests.

I suggest that any studies on Fibromyalgia or CFS or ME should also use this more robust methodology.

I also suggest changes in pain thresholds if detected in some patients may suggest something else is going on peripherally or spinally, resulting in increased sensitivity.

Mithriel, MEMarge, obeat and 2 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't really see the value in papers that make judgment calls such as perceived pain. It's purely a judgment call made by an external observer, it has no basis and no place in medicine as long as we can't objectively measure pain.
    Lowering it. I mean we're humans with brains, intelligence and memory. Many of us had a normal life before, we have life experience in what things do to our bodies. Physical activity lowers pain perception. That's why athletes can endure pain that normally would make them wince and stop, or how we can laugh at pain that came about in a silly or entertaining way. The opposite is completely abnormal and does not come about by magic, ghosts or cosmic dragons.
    Enough of this crap. It's vague and has no basis in evidence, nothing but a cheap judgment call. This reads more like religious admonition than anything having to do with science. Whatever follows this moral judgment cannot be of any use, it is tainted by a false premise.

Let's bring back some neutrality and objectivity into medical science. Way too much judgment, opinions, beliefs, ideology and all types of unscientific influences going on, even more problematic that they are often treated as axioms, things that don't even need to be proven.

Mithriel, MEMarge, merylg and 2 others like this.