1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Studying ICD-11 Primary Health Care bodily stress syndrome in Brazil: do many functional disorders represent just one syndrome? 2018, Fortes et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Studying ICD-11 Primary Health Care bodily stress syndrome in Brazil: do many functional disorders represent just one syndrome?

Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry, Epub October 11, 2018. Fortes, Sandra, Ziebold, Carolina, Reed, Geoffrey M., Robles-Garcia, Rebeca, Campos, Monica R., Reisdorfer, Emilene, Prado, Ricardo, Goldberg, David, Gask, Linda, & Mari, Jair J (2018).
    https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1516-4446-2018-0003

Inara, andypants, chrisb and 2 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They should do this study with controls that have similar number of symptoms and symptom burden but recognized pathology. That would tell you whether BSS represents distinct entity or is just a nonspecific description of illness.

Inara, andypants, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting to see Goldberg, David amongst the authors, given his apparent role in the redrawing of ME, and his emphasis on anxiety and depression at that time.

Inara, andypants and Trish like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree it is a major flaw in any interpretation that there is no attempt at establishing any form of control for this group.

Also there is no clear indication how they evaluated whether there had been reliable elimination of all biomedical conditions potentially causing these symptoms. Given the only way to diagnose these supposed conditions is by physician belief, the circumstances in which they establish that belief and the views of the diagnosing physician are likely to lead to enormous variation in how reliable such a diagnosis is to be considered.

Further, that the authors unquestioningly include ME/CFS, Fibromilagia and IBS as examples of functional or somatoform disorders when there is significant evidence of biomedical abnormalities in these conditions, which, as we are only too well aware, raises very large questions about potential researcher bias. [This means that the authors are effectively saying not only is the failure to find evidence for a biomedical condition (an absence of evidence) sufficient for their presumed psychiatric diagnosis, they are further assuming that the presence of biomedical abnormalities can be disregarded in the absence of an accepted theory of causation.]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Again this is a study that excludes the more severely incapacitated with 52% still in work, a figure which rises to 74% if you include home makers.

Though they indicate that 91 (26%? over a quarter) of participants were subsequently excluded because the presented a 'know physical pathology', they still do not raise any questions over the entire diagnostic proceedure or the dangers of misdiagnosis preventing appropriate medical treatment.

Also they missed an opportunity here in that they could have used these intially misdiagnosed patients as a control group. Is this study potentially telling us that there is a group of patients, predominantly middle aged women with concerning symptoms likely to make life difficult, but not severe enough to incapacitate, that physicians are likely (at least 1 in 4 times) to misdiagnose initially as having a psychiatric condition.

When the psychiatrists and psychologists are also saying that once a functional or somatoform diagnosis is suspected further medical investigation should be discontinued because it would reinforce false beliefs the risks of this unacceptablely high level of initial misdiagnosis persisting become much greater. Combine this with the considerable anecdotal evidence in at least the ME community of people given one of these unevidenced psychiatric diagnosis withdrawing from health provision the risks of preventable deterioration or death surely become very significant.

Inara, andypants and Sean like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

A further bizarre feature of this whole process is they posit a psychiatric condition, that does not coexist with a 'physical pathology'. This must be the only psychiatric condition that by definition would be cured by acquiring a biomedical condition.

My working life as a speech and language therapist would have been made much easier if a stroke would have cured schizophrenia or cancer of the tongue cured manic depression.

Does this mean, as I have probably had one or more TIAs, my ME has been cured? Though presumably not as I was not well enough to attend outpatients for the appropriate scans, so no firm diagnosis has been made. What a fool I was, if I had pushed for an ambulance to take me to outpatients or hired one myself, I might have been cured of my ME. (Also I seem to have misunderstood my own condition, as refusing a medical assessment in the belief that it would, on the basis of a single fully resolved neurological event, be unlikely to have any implications for management, but would result in a major ME crash, I missed the chance to reinforce my own false beliefs. Though a dedicated BPSer would have argued that I refused the appointment because I was afraid of having my false beliefs exposed, as false. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.)

Obviously there is a difference between research definitions and clinical definitions, but given the inadequate discussion of diagnosis in this paper and in general this not at all clear.

Inara, andypants, Mithriel and 2 others like this.