1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Study to Investigate the Efficacy and Safety of Ferric Carboxymaltose in Iron-Deficient Patients with Fibromyalgia, 2017, Boomershine et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40744-017-0088-9

Inara, Melanie and Trish like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Since they're comparing it to nothing at all, apparently they already know it's no more effective than a cheap iron supplement. And since they're studying it specifically in fibromyalgia, they're probably looking to create a market for something people don't need. And since they're studying a deficiency, shouldn't blood levels be the primary outcome, not "how do you feel"?

I'm also not sure how they could be diagnosed with any form of anemia when hemoglobin was normal at baseline. They also seem to be using an artificially high threshold for determining that there was a deficiency of transferrin (20% instead of 12%) and ferritin (50ng instead of 18ng) at baseline.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Inara, Melanie, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  3. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My Ferritin Iron levels are low while my overall iron is high which is very abnormal but not unheard of.

Low Ferritin has been associated with RLS which I have. This was the only iron measured initially by a sleep doctor and he mentioned iron infusion and had me take Ferritin supplements. I didn't take them for more than a few months as I received no benefits for sleep or my Fibromyalgia. But about a year later I went to a cancer center where they give iron infusions and told them what my sleep doctor said and they measured my Ferritin and other iron levels and that is when they found my overall iron to be too high and an iron infusion was out. This is when I really emotionally, for the first time, hit a wall realizing there just is nothing that can be done for me. Not for my Fibro or CFS.

And I also found that cancer centers treat their patients remarkably well. They were always kind and smiled caringly. So different from what I normally experience.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Inara and Trish like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Iron Avidity, perhaps? I share this seemingly contradictory lab result.

Melanie likes this.