1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Study finds psychiatric diagnosis to be ‘scientifically meaningless’

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I worked with a lot of people who had suffered extreme trauma in childhood. Many of them became much more balanced as a result. They did not worry about a few extra pounds or if they had a bad hair day. They were confident because they were proud of how they had survived.

It is similar to the way they keep saying that being ill gives us benefits without every asking us or considering what we have lost.

Trauma is assumed to always lead to mental weakness when it is just as likely to do the opposite. Also it can lead to purely physical problems - arthritis from badly set bones and so on - but any illness after trauma is considered to be of emotional origin.

It is all theory of how the world works with no one actually looking out the window.

oldtimer, Annamaria, Hoopoe and 14 others like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It took a study to figure this out? :rolleyes:

Annamaria, ladycatlover and obeat like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Andy likes this.
  4. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Despite recent claims, blogging on psychologytoday.com is scientifically meaningful."

Yeah, sure, why not.

5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see it differently. Those who want to do away with psychiatric diagnoses all together remind me of those who prefer MUS over diagnoses such as ME/CFS, fibromyalgia etc. I think there are similarities in the debate.

To outsiders it may seem as if criticis have a point because there are a lot of problems with psychiatric diagnoses and the diagnosis of ME/CFS, but the proposed alternatives tend to make those problems even worse.

sea, Annamaria, obeat and 3 others like this.