1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Study finds potential causality between blood clot factors and migraine with aura

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Sly Saint, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-05-potential-causality-blood-clot-factors.html

2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how scintillating scotoma, which is a migraine-like aura I get for about 15 minutes once a month or less, usually without headache, fits in?

Forbin, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah! I get these too. I’d no idea they had a name. I just thought they were part and parcel of my migraines. Though I rarely get these with a headache, but instead like you do without the pain.

They usually last about 20 minutes.

4. MeSci

Have you always had them, or only since getting M.E.? (I've only had them in the latter stages of my M.E.)

alktipping and Kitty like this.
  5. Keela Too

I’ve had them since my teenage years. On and off.

MeSci, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get these scotoma without a headache too. I had to look it up in google when it kept happening!

I also get migraines that have vertigo and nausea without the binding headaches I got when I was younger. I have no idea if they have an aura or not. I looked that up in google and I am none the wiser. I think I do but everything falls into the mess of symptoms that make up ME.

In my teens, my ME was originally diagnosed as "migraine with more of the weird symptoms and less of the headaches"

MeSci, alktipping, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you can only see the scotoma in one eye, it may be retinal migraine. I get these, but have never suffered from the headache forms of migraine. I sometimes get the scotoma alone, but other times the vision in the affected eye is also impaired, with sharp focus impossible.

Retinal migraines are usually quite short lived, with more than an hour's duration being unusual – mine tend to last between 10 and 25 minutes. The other eye is typically unaffected.

MeSci and alktipping like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get this a few times year. It started years after the onset of ME, so it's hard to say if it's related. My father said he also got these, though he never had ME. It might be genetic in some cases, I suppose. Though I never had a headache with this condition, it did leave me feeling kind of "wiped out" in a weird way until the next day. Mine seemed to happen only in one eye at a time, but which eye would vary. My ophthalmologist insisted that, if the lighting conditions were right, I'd see it in both eyes, though it might be dimmer in one eye.

Somewhat more concerning to me is that, twice in my lifetime, once at age 12 and again at age 52, the upper third of my visual field was just... gone. It wasn't black, but rather a sort of gray "emptiness." Like the aura, it cleared up in about half an hour. I have some reason to think that the second event was triggered by looking at a laser price scanner while it was being cleaned. The cashier had thoughtfully removed the protective glass covering it for cleaning and it didn't immediately occur to me to look away. The vision problem started about a minute later. Since the first event occurred on a little league baseball field when I was a child, it seems unlikely that a laser was involved. :confused:

Kitty, MeSci and Trish like this.
  9. MeSci

I will try to remember to check whether it is in one eye or both next time. I may have a problem remembering because I can't speak or write sense while it is happening! Do others have this?

Mithriel and Kitty like this.
  10. Keela Too

For me everything else is normal. Though yeah, it can leave me tired afterwards.

Also it indicates that I’m in a period where a migraine is more likely. (My migraines come in waves, and then there can be gaps of months and months when I get none.)

I sometimes used to get the vision thing when teaching, which was very weird. The missing bit in my vision got sort of zipped up. So I could be looking at a student and seeing them like a cyclops because one of their eyes fell on the missing part of my vision! Weird.

However, I found I could see everything I needed if I swept my eyes around a bit, so I could catch the missing bits. I couldn’t properly read anything though. But in the class room what you say goes, so I just worked around it til it all cleared.

Re driving, I could always pull in well before it was a problem. Then, I’d just take time out before driving on.

In truth the vision issue wasn’t happening very frequently, and in hindsight I was remarkably accepting of it all (still am actually). I mentioned it once to a doctor, who just said it was probably linked to my migraines and dismissed it as irrelevant.

For me it is definitely across both eyes, though it can “feel” as though it’s in my left eye. A quick check by covering the left eye makes it clear it’s not a single eye issue.

Trish, Kitty and MeSci like this.
  11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does sound as if it's a different condition to mine. I think retinal migraines only affect one eye, usually the same eye every time. This type of migraine is thought to be caused by blood vessels constricting in response to a trigger; mine usually seem to be triggered by hot weather or blocked sinuses, although they can also happen for no obvious reason at all (e.g., I woke up with one last week).

I also developed Reynaud's in my late 50s, which, from reading about it, sounds like a similar phenomenon.

MeSci and Keela Too like this.
  12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that is what I get as well down to the strange feeling in the left eye. The ME affects my left side much worse than the right anyway. I am fairly sure it is both eyes as covering one doesn't help.

MeSci and Keela Too like this.