1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Study finds first direct evidence of a link between low serotonin and depression

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by hinterland, Nov 6, 2022.

1. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study finds first direct evidence of a link between low serotonin and depression

From the Guardian, science correspondent:
    Link to the study:
    BRAIN SEROTONIN RELEASE IS REDUCED IN PATIENTS WITH DEPRESSION: A [11C]Cimbi-36 PET STUDY WITH A D-AMPHETAMINE CHALLENGE.

oldtimer, TigerLilea, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which is it?

A decreased serotonin response, in the brain, or a reduced capacity for releasing serotonin, in the brain, as as far as I know these are totally different things, but they seem to think they are the same.

and what about other sources of serotonin such as the gut?

Sarah94, Lisa108, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure there's way more pieces to this puzzle than levels of chemicals.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

90% of the body's serotonin is made and found in the gut. I wonder what effect (if any) anti-depressants have on the gut.

5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blog critical of the study: https://eiko-fried.com/clear-evidence-for-serotonin-hypothesis-of-depression/

"Overall, sample size and generalizability are the reason why firm conclusions about e.g. “depression” only follow when 1) we draw a large sample from the population we are interested in, and 2) we draw a random sample of depressed patients.

In this particular study, neither is the case. The study has a very small sample size, and generalizability is very low because the depressed group is not representative of people with depression broadly. There are many factors here, but just to list one: 5 of the 17 depressed participants in the study (i.e. 30%) have Parkinsons disease, but this does of course not apply to the population of interest (not every third person with depression has also Parkinsons)."

Sarah94, Michelle, John Mac and 10 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So we're going to get both "no one took the serotonin hypothesis seriously in years" and "we've always known about the serotonin hypothesis" at the same time, uh? Because immediately after the paper people went out of their way to point out that no one has taken it seriously in years, even though it is basically all patients heard about because it sounded credible and sciencey.

And since the definition of depression has essentially become meaningless, who even knows what the patients being studied have in common. It seems even more heterogeneous and arbitrary than even the most generic concept of chronic fatigue.

Looking at it, I'm not even sure anymore which field of research is worse: ME or depression. It seems even more stuck in place and generic.

Sarah94, alktipping, rainy and 7 others like this.
  7. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle, Amw66, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think you even need to remove the outlier. You can see that those distributions are consistent with a single population by eyeball.

Michelle, alktipping, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  9. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  11. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There'd be money/prestige in proving they're linked --- opportunity for Cochrane!

alktipping likes this.