1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Studentship in process: What counts as a premenstrual symptom? Patient and expert health professional perspectives on PMS, King, KCL

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jun 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://gtr.ukri.org/projects?ref=studentship-1916672

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this would be most useful if they restricted the study to clinicians and researchers. They represent 99% of the problem. It is their bizarre ideas about symptoms that cannot be tested for that are the main issue here. There is so much to explore, especially given historical lessons that should make it obvious how irrational it is to keep attachment to discredited belief systems.

It makes me think of the Star Trek TNG episode where Picard meets an alien from a culture that only speaks in metaphors and so the universal translator can't help them communicate. It takes a while for him to figure it out, but he makes the effort and succeeds. The broader medical profession, including clinical psychology, is still stuck at the "continue speaking normally until that weirdo starts making sense on my terms" phase, refusing to adapt the communication and failing to achieve any understanding.

Our arms wide. Their minds shut.

MEMarge and hellytheelephant like this.