1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stress, Asthenia, and Cognitive Disorders 2023

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Asthenia is a clinical syndrome that can be manifest in almost all somatic, infectious, and neurological diseases. Initially a protective mechanism indicating depletion of energy resources, asthenia can become a pathological and extremely disabling condition, and can even progress to an independent immune-mediated disease – chronic fatigue syndrome. Asthenia is often combined with affective and cognitive disorders, producing diagnostic difficulties. The article addresses the complex interweaving of asthenia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and cognitive and affective disorders.

Paywall, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11055-023-01364-1

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Asthenia is a word I immediately forget the meaning of.

So here are some notes from Google:

Definition:
    Asthenia: Weakness; lack of energy and strength.

Is asthenia same as fatigue?
    Fatigue is often related with physical and psychological symptoms. The inquiry is always difficult. Asthenia is a fatigue without or before effort.

From Encycolpedia Britannica

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I see it's translated from Russian. It seems to be a hypothesis paper based on rather selective reading of research and some strange assumptions.

I haven't read it all, but get the general impression of some confusion, for example they describe asthenia, CFS and depression as having the same trigger - stress. They confuse the definition of CFS as including 'orthostatic hypotension' rather than 'orthostatic intolerance' as an option. In the section on treatment they list without comment variations on CBT and GET, and promote particularly a drug used in treating dementia, seeming to claim it is effective in CFS without any reference to support that.