1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

StatPearls: Continuing Education Activity: Chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stat Pearls describes itself as
    The Largest Library of Medical Education in the World.

https://www.statpearls.com/home/index

https://www.statpearls.com/ArticleLibrary/viewarticle/21640

Hutan, Ali, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  2. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is outrageous. None of the references appear to be later than 2012 (a quick glance). Edit, seen one from 2017, British Journal of Pharmacology.

There is so much disinformation on 'treatment' for ME or CFS in so many supposedly authoritative publications. It looks like a lifetime's task getting it all updated. In the meantime doctors and students are absorbing outdated damaging misinformation.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Mithriel, Hutan, Ali and 8 others like this.
  3. J.G

J.G Established Member (Voting Rights)

GET and CBT. How are we still not past this. Unbelievable. :arghh:

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I skimmed some of the article. It's muddled and includes some clangers like symptoms being made worse by exertion and low upright posture.
    It's clear the writers have just cobbled together bits from various sources and haven't a clue.
    @dave30th is this something you can tackle?

Mithriel, Ali, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  5. J.G

It certainly looks that way. I sent them a polite message explaining, in a few lines, the controversy surrounding the PACE trial and the limitations of CBT for MECFS. I received a response stating they will consider revising the article.

Hutan, Ali, DokaGirl and 12 others like this.
  6. J.G

I checked back on the article; it's still peppered with BPS lingo and theorem. The passages quoted by @Sly Saint above are unchanged. However I note its new inclusion of two sentences:

Regarding the PACE trial:
    And concerning CBT and GET in general:
    Should we wish to address the article's general tenor, I think a more concerted approach is needed. Since that's beyond the scope of my energy limits I hope others on this forum can pick up the slack and raise the issue(s) with StatPearls :)

7. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Statpearls is a private US based company. As far as I can see the business model is selling the Statspearls materials via its corporate access https://www.statpearls.com/home/groupsales/ which is then sold on as courses via the Statspearls website. The institutional base seems to be mostly if not all US based and I think we have to expect that Statpearls' preferred references will be moderated by the interests of its institutional customers so if there's lots of therapy to sell, it's unlikely Statpearls is going to downplay the role of therapy (CBT etc) in treating a condition.

If there's any movement to be had I think it's going to be from referencing publications by the CDC and IOP. The difficulty is going to be that Statpearls probably has little incentive to change what looks like a strongly sciency article which can serve as a tick sheet for 'learning'.