Stanford MECFS working group meeting 2023

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Jaybee00, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The theory seems to go that cells which are in a metabolic trap can be released with the right stimulus. So if the right drug is identified, presumably it wouldn't need to be taken long term anyway.

I don't know how likely it is that the trap idea is correct, of course, it is still a theory at present.

alktipping, Ash, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CAD is also known as ACOD1 and is encoded by immune responsive gene 1 (IRG1)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    Kitty, obeat, cfsandmore and 2 others like this.
  4. leokitten

What are thoughts on testing type I interferon inhibitor therapy in ME like is done in SLE? Since they’ve found similar levels of increased IFNa in ME as in SLE. Type I interferon (which includes IFNa) is activated in more than 50% of SLE patients and is considered an important pathogenic factor. There is at least one existing approved drug anifrolumab (Saphnelo) which is an anti-IFNa receptor monoclonal antibody.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    RedFox, Michelle and Kitty like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the problem is being locked into metabolic shunt, as seems to be the suggestion then once a drug has unlocked the situation it should no longer be needed.

Etidronate can be used over quite long periods along as it has to be intermittent. Maybe if the shunt kept coming back you could re-unlock it repeatedly.

I am afraid I cannot see scrap of evidence for any of this being relevant to ME.

EndME, Ash, RedFox and 9 others like this.
  6. leokitten

And sorry if this idea has already been hashed out and isn’t relevant, but how about clinically testing IL-1 inhibition in ME/CFS patients as proof of concept to see if illness symptoms are indeed driven by inflammation or not? This would circumvent the issue found with testing corticosteroids because of their confounding neuropsychiatric effects

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    Michelle, Kitty and Trish like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the theory was at least partly inspired by the subset of people who've experienced overnight remissions. It's happened to me twice, and it is odd.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's significant, and even if it is there are other potential explanations. Having since experienced the overnight magic of the Astra-Zeneca Covid vaccine, I'd be more inclined to think it was some kind of immune shift. The first jab provoked a recovery in function as rapid and impressive as the remissions decades earlier, although not nearly as long-lasting.

livinglighter, Ash, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  8. SunnyK

SunnyK Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member