1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stanford Community Symposium 2018: OMF Studies - Xiao and Davis

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by NelliePledge, Sep 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This thread has been split from the Stanford Community Symposium 2018 thread.
    It covers the presentation by Wenzhong Xiao and comments related to OMF studies (e.g. Severely Ill Patient Study) by Ron Davis.

Did I hear Xiao say BDNF being different was a new finding?? There have been others from what I remember including at Newcastle

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
    merylg, MEMarge, Inara and 4 others like this.
  2. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did i hear Wenzhong Xiao mention Network Analysis and Machine Learning ??? :)

merylg, Hutan, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(copied post)

Hanson seems optimistic about metabolomics results. She thinks the inability to find subgroups in patients with metabolomics approach suggests that the abnormalities are fundamental to the illness. At least that is what I understood. The presentations so far have not been easy to follow.

Edit: also Xiao said that the TRPM3 gene doesn't show up as significant in their analysis of severely ill patients.

My personal impression is that many researchers are struggling with the heterogeneity of patients, so Hanson's optimism is comforting.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

would this suggest that pwME s Virome is out of whack too?

(article on Human Virome :
    "Perhaps the most interesting development of the study of the virome is the interplay that viruses can have with other components of the microbiome, specifically bacteria, that can either up- or down-regulate the antiviral immune response and can therefore modulate viral infectivity.

This relationship is reciprocal since viruses can in turn modulate bacterial infections. The complex interactions of the virome with other members of the microbiome in the context of host genetics, and their influence in the health status of the patient have just begun to be investigated and are not completely understood, but the findings so far indicate that the regulation of the immune response by viruses and other members of the microbiome can affect the outcome of infections.")

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0188440918300262

eta: presumably the people in Rons study had not been on anti-virals(?)

found another interesting article:
    Human oral viruses are personal, persistent and gender-consistent

"As has previously been demonstrated for bacteria and fungi, membership in the oral viral community was significantly associated with the sex of each subject."

https://www.nature.com/articles/ismej201431

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018