1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

speech to type app?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Amw66, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

iPhone or the iPad. It’s built into the keyboard but you probably have to turn it on first which you can do by going to the settings app > general >keyboard then enable dictation toggle at the bottom. After that whenever the onscreen keyboard comes up you will have a button with a microphone next to the space bar on the bottom left that you can press to start dictating.

You could also ask Siri to write a text or a note etc.

2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks.

I’ve just seen the microphone button on the keyboard and am dictating right now

Wow

3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Update: I really didn’t quite get on with this speech to type thing.

It works quite well, but I find I don’t like talking to myself. Also, I have to edit afterwards with the punctuation and so on, and that is a bit annoying. I may play with it some more and see how I get on but, I think perhaps in the long run I won’t use it so much.

4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A tip for anyone using Dragon (not on the Mac - apparently that's not really Dragon even if it says it is) - think about what you want to say and then say it in a whole sentence, if you can, because Dragon recognises context and its guess at what you've said will be more accurate.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's a useful tip, Sasha. I think that's partly why I would find it difficult to use. I don't think in whole sentences, I think and type as I go along and then edit the sentence. If I tried to think and remember a sentence, then say it, I would probably forget half of it. Or I would do it in very short sentences, but I guess if we have to, we can adapt.

Annamaria, ladycatlover and andypants like this.
  6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the writing industry in which I work, Dragon Naturally Speaking is still regarded as the best available, as far as I know: it comes in various levels, including, I think, a technical and scientific level which might be helpful to a surveyor. And of course if he's using it professionally then it's a business expense, so money is less of an object. But it would definitely be a question of trying things out and seeing what works best in an individual case, so if your tech contains some sort of built-in software that's probably the place to start.

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I can relate to this. In one job I had years ago I changed to a different role and having been used to typing all my own emails was expected to dictate letters for the typist to type up because that work involved dealing with clients outside the organisation. I hated dictation and basically ended up typing or writing out my letter then reading it onto tape. It’s like on another discussion here where we found although quite a few find talking on the phone takes more energy than writing posts. Others find talking better than writing.