1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Some flu viruses can affect mouse brains and memory long term

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sing, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/flu-virus-brain-memory-mice

This is progress—damned slow in coming. Annoying that they didn’t note any connection between these types of effects on mouse brains and memory performance with ME, post-Lyme or other post-infectious neurological effects. But maybe they are on their way with this type of research on mice.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very unlikely to have any relevance to humans. Research on mice is extremely preliminary and in my view pointless. Believe me, I have studied it (when I was able).

3. Sing

@MeSci

Even if the study shows structural damage to the brain and microglia activation? Why is so much research done on mice if it isn’t closely related to what happens in humans? I would think that a study like this would at least establish a possible long term consequence for those infections.

Am not a scientist, so forgive me if I am off base:(

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really don't know - but I don't know very much at the moment! You may find some info in my blog on PR: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?blog/mesci.6237/

I wrote it when I was more intelligent.

Sing likes this.
  5. Sing

@MeSci

Thank you! I skimmed through your blog entries on animal models as I feel horror towards it and agree it is one of the more evil things human beings have done—along with so many others. Killing an animal for food and using a animal to help with transportation, when done respectfully in terms of an animal’s experience—not in terms of our wishful thinking and fantasy—are all right in my ethical sense, but torture, cruelty, over confinement, as well as the arrogant view that their (others’) pain and needs either are not real or do not matter are central to what I and many would see as evil. I am certain this misuse of animals has hurtful and damaging effects on those who do it, and those in their circle of influence.

However, your other strong point that the findings of such research do not apply well enough to human biology is great. And now that there are more advanced options in terms of the use of human tissue mathematical modelling, epidemiological information (?) which could produce results that are more relevant—why would science continue to rely on animal research—

other than the huge problems of inertia, continuing rationalization by prior beliefs, entrenched interests in terms of money and careers?

So thank you for striking the blow of your axe of mental acuity, whenever it is present for you, against this crime against not only what is respectful and caring but also what is truthful.

MeSci likes this.