1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Six-foot rule to protect against coronavirus is questionable, MIT professor says (The Boston Globe)

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by zzz, Apr 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. Simply didn't occur to the politicians that by telling people to do this, they're forcing the most vulnerable – those who're chronically ill and elderly, but don't have a support network – to increase hugely their contact with other people, because they rely on public transport to get to the shops and can't carry a week's shopping at once. Some of the most senior politicians have almost no contact with the real world, so they don't comprehend that being shielded is a privilege, and it's not available to those at the bottom of the social heap.

Interesting – it's fairly quiet in our city, I only saw queues outside the supermarkets for the first week. It mostly seems to be older folk who're out. The woman at the checkout told me she'd never seen so many mobility scooters in all the years she'd worked there, including one heroic old fella who turns up in a full-face crash helmet in lieu of a mask! :laugh:

2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having seen your wonderful leather work I'm conjuring up the idea of seeing you in a Darth Vader mask! ;) :rofl:

3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lol!!! I was considering going down a crazy route, but I'll be sensible... For now :sneaky:

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We’re trying to build the plane while we’re flying it. We still don't have secure data regarding face masks.

Simbindi, Perrier, Mithriel and 3 others like this.
  5. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not gonna lie, my main reasoning for making one is for fun and sanity maintainance rather than life saving :woot:

Keela Too, Simbindi, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a 20 minute queue to get into the supermarket when IM went shopping, but this was because they are strictly controlling the number of people who are in the shop so everyone can observe the 6 feet rule.

Once in the shop it was very quick and straightforward - apart from two people, oblivious to the queue outside and their fellow shoppers trying to maintain 6 foot distance and follow the one way system around the shop, arguing over which brand of something to buy. :rolleyes:

8. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been wearing a mask and glasses since March 13th. One chap in the grocery stored asked me on that day why I was wearing it! The problem here in Quebec is the short supply of masks and other necessities, so I suspect this is why they are focusing only on hand washing and physical distancing. Austria has mailed each citizen 2 masks, from I have been told (but I have no link for that). Monsieur Legault is doing a wonderful job and has shown real leadership.

9. Perrier

It is possible to make masks; there is superb thread on this site about mask making. I recently hastily made one with a long scarf, rubber bands and safety pins (neither of which are visible.) Check out the thread.

10. Perrier

Not medically related but: this reminds me of the old USSR days. I was there briefly and and meeting up with some folks in a huge park. One chap put his forefinger into his mouth to moisten it, then held up his hand to check which way the wind was blowing. Then he said, best we turn this way so that none of what we say is carried by the wind. Quelle vie!

Ebb Tide, shak8, Mij and 5 others like this.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sewed a few masks last weekend as I had a medical appointment I had to attend. It wasn't optional to miss, unfortunately. A few hours after finishing the masks, what did I find in the workshop? but two N95 masks that I use when sanding or shredding paper. They were cheap masks that I knew were there, but it didn't occur to me that they would be N95s.

12. Perrier

I had the identical experience! Some water infiltrated into my Mother's basement last year (she lives next door) and I bought some masks fearing mould. Turns out they were N 95.

TigerLilea, Ebb Tide, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We are still in shortage until supply catches up. That's the only reason to advise against widespread use of masks but somehow authorities seem to think it's better to not say it directly. Typical medical chauvinism that people can't handle bad news but in a pandemic, be blunt and tell the whole truth is what needs to be done. It'd be better if they just came out and said it, but old habits die hard.

Sasha, Kitty, Simbindi and 7 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Too right. More blunt, plain speaking at the start might have saved lives.

Such as while being young or not having underlying conditions reduces your risk, there are no guarantees that you won't be one of the unlucky ones.

Plus - this is a very unpleasant way die.

Those two combined would have put a stop to a lot of the stupid, foolhardy behaviour of the younger members of the population who tend to think they're invulnerable and be less risk averse at the best of times.

Sasha, TigerLilea, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  15. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wore a mask when I opened the door to my place when I got my groceries delivered three weeks ago. I told the man (who was Asian) that "I have a cold" which I did. He said he appreciated it and wished more people would wear them. Possibly because it is routine in parts of Asia, especially Japan, to protect others from your cold virus.

I guess here in the US, it's been formerly seen as hypochondrical, or weak, sickly.

TigerLilea, Kitty, zzz and 5 others like this.
  16. Invisible Woman

I believe we should be adopting distancing behaviours when we have colds and flus anyway.

I've always thought not doing so was advertising genius on the part of big pharma - you know the ads & slogans about separating the men from the boys....when the going gets tough and all that. If their products can keep you feeling well enough to go out and about, they can keep you well enough to go infecting other people, who'll buy their product and carry on and infect still more etc.

Sasha, TigerLilea, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  17. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well my local public health officials apparently are quite that stupid. Help us all!!

They just posted this for the community to read (this is exactly how it is written)....

"It is OK to be closer briefly (10 mins or less) to others such as cashier's, store clerks etc. Just remember to wash your hands when you get home."

lunarainbows, Kitty, Trish and 3 others like this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It never was enough. Rules like this and handwashing are about decreasing risk, not eliminating it. Its been known for many years that a cough or a sneeze can travel a long way, and persist for a while. Decrease risk of transmission enough and fewer and fewer get infected. Fail to decrease risk and more and more get infected. Put enough things in place and things will slowly get better. If you want safe in a pandemic find your bunker :cautious: and don't leave. We have more than two thousand years of figuring out pandemics, starting with Athens in 427bc or something. Isolation has been the main method for most of it, and after the germ theory of disease arose its included hygiene. Vaccination was added even later, and modern drugs are very recent in historical terms.

Simbindi, merylg, TigerLilea and 6 others like this.
  19. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yesterday I saw a woman spit on the ground (with strangers walking near her), in a highly trafficked public park. I guess you just can't help some people...

20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Once upon a time this was a serious criminal offence, due to tuberculosis risk. Those times are coming back. You can now be fined for doing that in some parts of Australia, and maybe all of Australia.

Sasha, Simbindi, merylg and 5 others like this.