SITN: Long COVID: The latest in a series of unexplained post-acute infectious syndromes?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Kalliope, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Science in the News - HARVARD Kenneth C. Griffin
    Blog by Ya'el Courtney

Quote:

The first well-documented observation of PAIS was Post-Polio Syndromein the 1870s, where people developed muscular degeneration and weakness 15-40 years after infection with poliomyelitis. Since then, PAIS has been noted after infection by many viruses – from influenza to the common cold to Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) (also known as ‘mono’ or glandular fever).

It was not until the 1980s that doctors began to recognize similar chronic conditions as serious medical problems, and a new diagnosis was born: myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, or ME/CFS. However, attempts to identify a single infectious agent as the cause of ME/CFS have been unsuccessful, complicating efforts to find a cure.

This brings us to a compelling proposition: could ME/CFS be more accurately described as a spectrum of post-acute infectious syndromes? This perspective suggests that various infectious agents could trigger a prolonged, systemic response, manifesting in remarkably consistent symptoms across different cases.

The COVID-19 pandemic has provided a unique opportunity to explore this hypothesis, as the similarities between long COVID and ME/CFS are striking.

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/...-unexplained-post-acute-infectious-syndromes/

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think this is a fairly good, though superficial and uncritical, summary of what is known and not known based on a few of the main US sources of information, NIH, CDC, Mayo clinic.
    It's written by a PhD student.

Sean, Amw66, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  3. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like it, its a good overview. Gone are the days of struggling to have anyone believe you when you say you have a recurring virus.

Starlight, Amw66 and Kalliope like this.