1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Simon Wessely on radio prog tonight (8th Jan 2020) - Radio 4 2100

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by MeSci, Jan 8, 2020.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if there'll be anything related to ME/CFS, but he is one of those being consulted on tonight's programme 'D for Diagnosis':

"From the medical library of the UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology, Professor Sir Simon Wessely, former President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, revisits original case notes of British soldiers in World War One who had been diagnosed with the newly emerged condition of shellshock. Shellshock affected hundreds of thousands of troops across Europe and Claudia discusses with Simon why this novel diagnosis became the predominant explanation for traumatic suffering at that particular time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006n0s

DokaGirl, Forbin, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm pretty sure that Shorter has argued that "shellshock" was similar to, if not just another cultural appellation for conditions such as neurasthenia, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and Gulf War syndrome.

I came across this paper from September 2019, however, in which the author, distinguishes between Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

It includes this chart from the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center. Which condition seems more like ME/CFS?

[​IMG]

Blast-Related Traumatic Brain Injury: Current Concepts and Research Considerations

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really? The guy who said the same thing of GWI and 9/11-related problems is a credible source for this topic? Is the apology for GWI ever coming? As it happened for Camelford. Not that he got any blame for it.

OK, then. It's a really bad idea to have people who are so consistently wrong being taken seriously over the very same topic they were consistently wrong. This is why we can't have nice things.