Similarities between the tobacco industry and BPS/insurance interests

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by rvallee, Jan 14, 2023.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts

Research on smoking tobacco funded by tobacco companies using tobacco company resources showing that, akshually, smoking tobacco is not only safe but a-muh-zing, comes to mind. Basically the same level of "independence".

Theranos provides a more recent example, and it also shows that high-risk investors have far more protections against blatant fraud than sick people. What a world we live in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2023
    Ash, Lilas, Ariel and 8 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few days ago I came across an old (1950s?) photograph online of seven tobacco company presidents standing in a row holding up a hand in front of a Congressional Committee and swearing that tobacco wasn't addictive.

Ipquise, Ash, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

JoClaire, Ash, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm surprised. The photograph I saw was black and white so assumed it was old for that reason.

Ash, Ariel, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Easy enough to mistake attitudes like this as coming from the 1950s.

Ash, Lilas, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My mother died from lung cancer due to smoking, in 1960. I'm pretty sure that it was known that tobacco was addictive by then, because my father smoked as well but stopped when my mother was diagnosed.

alktipping, Lilas, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  7. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do people make of the parallel between covid/long covid denial and minimization and the tobacco lobby? Didn't they get a bunch of "scientists" and doctors to say smoking was safe and NBD? Possibly even good for you in some way? It took a long time of growing evidence that it was unsafe and dangerous to convince the world at large. Seems similar to covid itself.

JoClaire, alktipping, Ash and 3 others like this.
  8. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah. I think it’s very similar with the idea that it’s possibly even good for you. Including the move to come up with “Imummunity Deficit” to explain mass illness with more complications and deaths, as a thing which comes about because people aren’t getting enough infectious disease rather than that it’s because they/we are getting one particular novel pathogen and we are experiencing a pandemic of this deadly viral disease.

But also it overlaps with all environmental diseases where by to effects are minimised by those who cause the pollution or don’t want to pay to safeguard people from it and this minimisation work is always facilitated by medical professionals to some extent or other.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Ipquise

Ipquise Established Member (Voting Rights)

This is the height of cynicism.
    And a lot of people believe it.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.