1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Silent clock

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by erin, Dec 19, 2019.

1. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take my medicine early hours in the morning in the middle of my sleep; b blocker at 5 a.m. after a small snack and then 7 a.m. thyroid medicine. I usually sleep in between. I have to sleep in pitch dark and no noise. Absolutely no telephones or similar gadgets allowed in my bedroom for a proper sleep. I had one of these digital clocks that light up very delicately when touched and it was reasonably "tic toc"/ noise free. Unfortunately it died few weeks ago and I am not able to find any other clock similar. This is causing me stress, new clock I got is digital but has a mild clicky sound only I can hear (apparently). I wrap the clock in fabric etc and put slightly further away. Then I can't reach in the dark to see what time is it, this wakes me up or I completely ignore the clock and skip my meds. I know I sound completely bonkers but this is the situation I'm in. I am missing my medications, taking them late and then can't eat breakfast on time as thyroid med needs to be taken at least half an hour before the breakfast. I started to get pains in my stomach with hunger, waiting.
    So, the previous clock was "Bentima" brand and I couldn't find anything similar. Any suggestion? Anyone familiar with the above problem?

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can totally empathise on the need for a completely silent clock. I have tried several over the years and so many of them have a slight tick that drives me nuts. I have an alarm clock that I cover with a face cloth because I hate being able to see a clock when I'm trying to get to sleep - it just makes me feel under pressure to get to sleep and makes my insomnia worse. When I need to see the time I just lift the cloth a little bit.

I found this clock which claims to have no tick :

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ticking-Increasing-Battery-Operated-Functions/dp/B07KGMZT4M/ref=sr_1_6

I don't know whether its other features match your requirements.

erin and ladycatlover like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

I've just realised that what you need to search for to get a quiet clock is either "no ticking alarm clocks" or "non ticking alarm clocks".

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have one which I think meets your requirements.

Mine is the 'Lumie Bodyclock'. It has special features which you don't require (it can function as a lamp, which can be set to slowly light up in the morning), but you *can* set it so that it only displays the time when you press a button.

On mine, pressing the button does make a clicking noise - but mine is an older model, and the newer models look to me like they may not do that.

It can be quite confusing to fiddle around with the settings, they're not exactly self-explanatory (or they weren't when I bought it a long time ago, anyway) but if you having trouble with that, you can message me.

Annoyingly, the display can only be turned off if you've set the alarm. I don't want an alarm, so I always just set the alarm for a time in the middle of the day when I know I'll be awake, and make sure I turn the alarm off just before that. The clock automatically provides a 'sunrise' light for half an hour before the alarm goes off, so I want to avoid that as I am light intolerant.

Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that all models of clock produced by Lumie will have this setting that you need. The exact model that I have is no longer being sold.

From reading the descriptions on their website, this model ought to have the setting that you need: https://www.lumie.com/collections/wake-up-lights/products/sunrise-alarm

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If you have a smartphone you may be able to set an alarm on that and have all other sound switched off.

6. Sarah94

I don't think she wants an alarm. She just wants to be able to check the time when she wakes up, and for the time to be displayed very dimly. A smartphone screen is too big and bright for that. I'm the same, if I checked the time on my phone when I woke up then I'd never go back to sleep.

erin, Peter Trewhitt and ladycatlover like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ah, thanks @Sarah94. Sorry, @erin, I should have read your post more carefully.

erin, ladycatlover and Sarah94 like this.
  8. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How would she feel about asking the time to an amazon echo dot? She would just have to say “alexa what’s the time?”. There’s a dim brief glow when the echo is activated but otherwise no lights.

9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just tried asking Siri on my iPhone, and there's very little light when it answers. It doesn't work with the phone face down, unfortunately, but it does with a black sock draped over the screen. I suspect it'd work on most smartphones.

If anyone does ever want a non-ticking clock, by the way, they're called 'silent sweep' clocks in the UK. I have them everywhere!

Wits_End, erin, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could just turn the clock around so that it doesn't face your bed. ;)

erin, Kitty and Arnie Pye like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

I know it sounds odd but my alarm clock is not just an alarm clock and it is really rather big, solid, and heavy. It is a gadget I once used to help me learn to live with tinnitus (a tinnitus relaxer). I can't use it for that any more, I'm too deaf, but I got enough use out of it that my tinnitus doesn't affect me in bed any more - or at least not often.

If I turned it round it would be hard to turn back the normal way again for me to find out the time. So the cloth works well, without me risking knocking this large gadget on the floor. There is a method to my madness. :D

erin, Kitty, pteropus and 3 others like this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd imagine that a battery powered LCD alarm clock would be silent. The backlight on these is OFF by default (because it consumes too much battery power), so it should be invisible in the dark until you press the backlight button. Some are USB powered, so battery life is not an issue (although the batteries last a long time on LCD clocks in my experience).

erin, Kitty and ladycatlover like this.
  13. Sarah94

I used to have a non-ticking clock, but it made a faint whirring noise.

erin, Kitty and ladycatlover like this.
  14. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. I wear ear plugs every night. Washable. I get them on Amazon. 7 or so blue gel-like earplugs in a pack. I get my eye masks there, too.

ladycatlover, erin and Kitty like this.
  15. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Arnie Pye and @Sarah94 thank you for the links, I will check them out. :thumbsup:

Sarah94 you're right; I don't want to use a smart phone, I am terrible with them. I don't want to be connected to the internet and get messages and calls via internet all the time:bored:. And Alexa is out of question for this reason @Diluted-biscuit and @Trish however thank you both for the suggestions. I'm a bit of a weirdo, seriously vintage person I have a technology block!:nailbiting:

@Kitty thank you too for the info that they're called 'silent sweep' clocks.

@Forbin, you are right, both clocks I had are LCD alarm clocks and they are silent but the new one has an irritating racy whirring noise as Sarah94 mentions and only I hear it in the household.

@Patient4Life, I tried ear plugs for some other noise that I got used to (that's another long weird story which I'm not gonna go on about) but I find that my ears hurt badly towards the morning. Maybe my plugs were not so good?

Thank you all for answering.

16. Diluted-biscuit

You can turn calls, messages etc off on Alexa. She can even be put in a do not disturb mode so she won’t say anything unless you ask something. She does sometimes activate wrongly when you’re talking or from the tv but it’s rare.

It’s fine if you still don’t want one but the issues you posted shouldn’t really apply to an echo dot.

erin likes this.
  17. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used few others before choosing these.

They are sold by different vendors.

One blue type were harder and larger silicone and deteriorated after a while; a bit too big and they did hurt. I don't see them sold anymore. Foam popped out. But these last long and don't hurt unless I am pressed down on my pillow too long; I can sleep with ear on pillow for some time without discomfort. They are more jelly like and not hard and are smaller.

I even have several sets and eye masks in my Go-bag as I can only imagine what a shelter might be like. I also have noise reduction ear caps in my pocketbook for when I am out. One time at hospital construction work was being done and they were quite handy. You can still hear but you can cope.

erin and Wonko like this.
  18. Diluted-biscuit

Bose made some noise masking earbuds for sleeping that were excellent but unfortunately they found a huge flaw in the battery and they discontinued them. Ear plugs irritate my ears something terrible, whatever I use. :(

erin likes this.