1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Should The BMJ silence authors who were abused by a reviewer?" (2017)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

cfsandmore, Kitty, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For a truly open peer review I believe that all reviewers should be prepared to be public signatories and also be prepared to have their comments published alongside the document.

Even if the reviewer thinks the paper shouldn't be published this should be the case. If nothing else it might engender further interest and discussion if the topic.

It shows what a miserable state of affairs this business is in if a reviewer has to attack the author rather than argue the subject and is let get away with it. A reviewer like that should be blacklisted.

Hutan, cfsandmore, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Some journals now do have open review where reviewers' comments are given with the name attached.
    However I'm not sure any journals share reviewer comments, if a paper is not published.

Kitty, alktipping, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I meant if the paper was published but one of the reviewers thought it shouldn't be.

If the paper itself isn't published then I'm not sure there would be much point & it would be even more unfair to the author I think.

Kitty and Snow Leopard like this.