1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Series of Guardian articles on Long Covid, October 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by SNT Gatchaman, Oct 12, 2022.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This post has been copied and some others have been moved from the Long covid in the media thread.
    The Guardian link to the series of articles is here:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/series/living-with-long-covid

WHO chief urges immediate action to tackle ‘devastating’ long Covid (Guardian)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2022
    alktipping, Kalliope and Trish like this.
  2. Levant

Levant Established Member (Voting Rights)

livinglighter, Lilas, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I quite like they led with a 10 year old kid. After so much "kids don't get Covid, they don't get Long Covid" this just exposes the lie right up front alongside some enormous numbers for those already suffering from this condition. 1 in 14 children are being ruined by this thing that is very similar to the adult rate.

“The doctor didn’t believe it was long Covid.... it must be all in your head.”” - Completely normal, you might if your lucky get recognition in a decade which is pretty normal for ME/CFS after your 30th doctor.

This whole thing is a damning portrayal of the health care system and there are bunch of real head bangers in there from doctors including some nice exercise therapy and Psychotherapy to get him back into school. We are doomed and that kids life will be ruined by these doctors unless he recovers naturally.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

6. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My brothers kids go to a school where there's 30 kids a class. Imagine 2 out of each class of kids coming down with Long Covid.... This should be visible and palpable for anyone that's even remotely around those kids. Teachers and classmates should be up in arms, parents should be kicking up a huge fuss.

Within my family 2 persons came down with Long Covid and have recovered somewhat, but the jaded reaction to it all is just, well we know what it is like. I'm glad of being able to offer at least some support in that matter, but it shouldn't be necessary. This whole paradigm of fobbing people off when they don't have something easily treatable needs to be kicked on it's arse.

janice, alktipping, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/13/long-covid-patients-not-believed-doctors

janice, Michelle, Sly Saint and 16 others like this.
  8. John Mac

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/14/long-covid-care-access

janice, Michelle, mango and 5 others like this.
  9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am severely dischuffed. I knew this wasn't going to go well, and it hasn't.

My letter to The Guardian this morning:

I doubt it'll have much effect, but I feel better.

Binkie4, janice, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  10. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's dramatically different from how ME was presented back in the day.

ME: "It's just a condition suffered by a bunch of upper-class housewives"

Long Covid: "Anyone can get it, regardless of race or social class, but mostly white and upper-class are coming to see us. All the people who can't get to a doctor are being neglected."

11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

another article in guardian on long covid
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/15/long-covid-ravi-veriah-jacques-hope-identity

with this in the middle;

janice, Ariel, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  12. RedFox

They're so close though! Using the term ME/CFS, then referring to it as a disease. "All publicity is good publicity." We should be grateful this and advocate for better.

alktipping, Jacob Richter and Ariel like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hopefully it will be corrected, lots of comments on Twitter and the interviewed, Ravi, also pitched in to notify the author. Of course it's usually editors who do this...

janice, Solstice, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  14. Kitty

Good, I'm glad to hear it. Normally, when you research a highly politicised topic like this, one of your objectives is to make a list of What Not To Say Under Any Circumstances. This would probably make the top three.

janice, Solstice, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  15. dratalanta

dratalanta Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not sure I knew before reading that piece that Martin Jacques has ME.

Those older than me will remember better than I do the vicious ideological warfare in the nineties between Jacques’ Marxism Today (journal of the CPGB) and the RCP’s Living Marxism. I wonder if this personal connection contributed to the views on ME held by certain members of the RCP circle.

Former RCP members, as George Monbiot and others have pointed out, have been highly influential at the Science Media Centre.

alktipping, Amw66, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  16. Kitty

I don't, but it's an interesting thought. I hadn't heard of Martin Jacques except through this article.

I had vaguely heard of both of those publications, but assumed they were historic titles that largely predated my coming of political age in the mid-70s. I was only involved in environmental, trade union, antiracist, and anti-apartheid campaigns, though—all in an industrial context, the intellectual stuff was for university types. Ignorance is vast but possibly not surprising! :laugh:

alktipping and dratalanta like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The ME Association writes to The Guardian about their 'Living with Long Covid' series:

"Dear Bianca
    Re: https://www.theguardian.com/.../long-covid-future...

I have just been reading your article in the Guardian with all the comments from ‘experts’ who are all perplexed by both the cause and management of Long Covid

I was very surprised and disappointed to see that not one of them appeared to acknowledge and fully understand the very important clinical and pathological overlaps with ME/CFS

The ME Association has been providing information and support to people with Long Covid dating right back to May 2020 - when it became apparent that significant numbers of people were not recovering from COVID-19 and developing a post-covid syndrome that included symptoms that are the same as ME/CFS. And in some cases people with Long Covid were meeting diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS.

Since then we have continued to cover all aspects of Long Covid on our social media where we regularly report on research and treatment developments.

We are very happy for people with Long Covid to join the ME patient community and many now take part in our discussions on MEA Facebook.

We have also been critical of the way in which many clinicians and researchers have failed to acknowledge the important clinical and causative overlaps between Long Covid and ME/CFS and the failure to realise that what we know about the cause and management of of ME/CFS - especially activity and energy management - could help people with Long Covid.

MEA GUIDE TO LONG COVID AND ME/CFS
    This is our new guide to the clinical and pathological overlaps between ME/CFS and Long Covid

This guide also explains how we can help people with Long Covid who have ME/CFS like symptoms - debilitating fatigue and post exertional malaise, cognitive dysfunction, unrefreshing sleep, orthostatic intolerance, PoTS etc

Free MEA website download:
    https://meassociation.org.uk/.../new-free-booklet-long.../

I hope you will take this information into account when you next cover Long Covid

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA"

https://www.facebook.com/meassociat...m7b7W6V7xmxdeVMgc7wrzJX8su84uNiTH5NnEPn3JPstl

18. John Mac

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/17/long-covid-research-unlock-medical-mysteries

19. RedFox

20. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Anthony Fauci: long Covid is an ‘insidious’ public health emergency

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ong-covid-risk-emergency-response-coronavirus

Wonko, Binkie4, Simbindi and 5 others like this.