1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 10th May 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sensory Processing Difficulties in Functional Neurological Disorder: A Possible Predisposing Vulnerability?, 2020, Ranford et al

Discussion in 'Health News and Research unrelated to ME/CFS' started by Andy, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member (& Outreach when energy allows)

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S003331822030044X
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.psym.2020.02.003

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and Trish like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is all so back to front. Sensory processing difficulties in psychiatric disorders indicate that these disorders are rooted in the brain not working properly. They do not indicate that having sensory difficulties means that a disease is psychiatric.

Finding sensory problems in FND is evidence against it being neuropsychiatric. Everything confirms their hypothesis.

Of course, they are no longer proving that FND is a valid construct they take that as a given. It just gets worse and worse.

Flashing lights cause seizures, never saw that coming!

Simbindi, Wonko, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly Mithriel. Are they trying to rewrite what we already know about sensory processing difficulties / sensory processing disorder? When I got my autism diagnosis, my lifelong sensory processing difficulties (which of course got a lot lot worse with onset of ME), were never treated as psychiatric.

Mithriel, Simbindi, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know. I'm really not convinced about that whole "cherry-picking is a perfectly valid methodology" thing. By itself it's very silly. In medicine it's just blatant malpractice. The title making an unrelated and very biased opinion is just, well, cherries on top. On top of what? More cherries, obviously. It's the new turtles all the way down.

Now, the question is rarely asked, but do skin bumps predispose someone to the smallpox? Obviously, everyone with smallpox has those bumps therefore the bumps clearly cause smallpox. QED. Send Nobel(s).