1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sensations of fizzing or buzzing, or paraesthesia in limbs

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Forbin, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. Unlike most other careers BPSers get (very well) paid even when they make matters worse not better.

rvallee, Forbin and AliceLily like this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In this short audio interview and transcript, a neuropathologist talks about how Covid-19 affects the brain and peripheral nervous system. He is asked specifically about the "fizzing feeling."

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/how-covid-19-affects-brain

3. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I know some people have these tremors regularly. I have only had them a handful of times. I had a realisation that I was visiting friends in Provence my neuropathic pain was aggravated by heat so I took pregabalin for a couple of weeks which I don’t normally take. I checked the side effects and tremor is a very common side effect. I haven’t taken pregabalin since, I’ve not had a tremor since - over 2 years.

Kitty, Wonko and Invisible Woman like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to think this ptom was highly significant but I have read lately that it can be a symptom of hysteria or conversion disorder.

No. I don't believe it either.

Kitty, Wonko and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've recently realized that for me this tends to happen once the effects of adrenaline have worn off.

Particularly when I've pushed a little and then you get that very misleading feeling of wellbeing that deceives you into thinking you're okay to carry on doing whatever. The come down from that normally triggers the internal tremor.

Kitty likes this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here.

The strangest one I get is a deep grinding sensation that goes all the way down my spine. It's as if the top of my spine (and nothing else) was in contact with rock that's being drilled at low speed with a heavy machine. The muscles radiating out across my back then start going into spasms, which makes me arch up as if I've got tetanus. I then start hallucinating really vividly.

It's not drug-derived, as I've never been on any meds at the times I've had it. It only happens when I get really, really unwell with the start of an acute flare involving feverishness, the 'poisoned' sensation, extreme hypersomnia, etc.

I suspect the spasms and hallucinations are due to some kind of neurotransmitter imbalance. It sounds a bit scary, but at the time, it feels incredibly exhilarating.

Invisible Woman and Trish like this.