1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Self-tunable engineered yeast probiotics for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, 2021, Benjamin M Scott et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a complex chronic inflammatory disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. Extracellular adenosine triphosphate (eATP) produced by the commensal microbiota and host cells activates purinergic signaling, promoting intestinal inflammation and pathology. Based on the role of eATP in intestinal inflammation, we developed yeast-based engineered probiotics that express a human P2Y2 purinergic receptor with up to a 1,000-fold increase in eATP sensitivity.

We linked the activation of this engineered P2Y2 receptor to the secretion of the ATP-degrading enzyme apyrase, thus creating engineered yeast probiotics capable of sensing a pro-inflammatory molecule and generating a proportional self-regulated response aimed at its neutralization. These self-tunable yeast probiotics suppressed intestinal inflammation in mouse models of IBD, reducing intestinal fibrosis and dysbiosis with an efficacy similar to or higher than that of standard-of-care therapies usually associated with notable adverse events. By combining directed evolution and synthetic gene circuits, we developed a unique self-modulatory platform for the treatment of IBD and potentially other inflammation-driven pathologies.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01390-x

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2021
    Hutan, Forbin, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting. Is this product available yet? Maybe still in development.

If it is available, it's probably not OTC.

Immune suppressants for IBD are definitely a mixed blessing. Hopefully this, and similar products might be game changers.

3. Mij

Well I eat quite a bit of natural yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae) on my popcorn at night. I can feel it fermenting in my gut after.

4. Mij

Forbin, alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Mouse Model"

Michelle and Wonko like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting. So they are saying extracellular ATP is the (or perhaps part of the) cause of IBD. And they can create yeast cells that sense the e-ATP and mop it up.

I wonder how firm that assertion that e-ATP causes IBD is. There's the question of why commensal microbiota and/or host cells are producing extracellular ATP, presumably at a level that is higher than normal. So, even if you have engineered yeast cells busily mopping up the e-ATP, maybe it keeps getting produced at abnormally high levels.

I vaguely recall the suggestion that over-production of extracellular ATP is involved in the pathology of ME/CFS.

Mij, Wonko and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Mij

Ron Davis discusses Metabolic Trap in yeast here:

"We inserted the Human IDO1 gene into Baker’s Yeast. This gene leads to the production of a chemical compound called Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD), essential for yeast to grow. We eliminated all other ways for yeast to produce NAD. Under normal levels of Tryptophan, the yeast grows normally".

A different angle I guess.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.