1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Searching constituents of MPs sitting on Science and Technology Committee (UK)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by It's M.E. Linda, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone on the forum have any of the MPs listed in the link below as their MP please?

https://www.parliament.uk/business/.../science-and-technology-committee/membership/

As well as belonging to a FB ME group within my County, I am also a member of a regional group. This group has been relatively successful in helping members feel confident enough to make an initial contact with their MPs asking them to support Carol Monaghan and the continuing debates into ME. We have tried to introduce people so that a group can approach the MP together, which gives extra confidence if brainfog should strike during a meeting.

Carol is a member of the Science and Technology Committee and, trying to use our limited energies efficiently, we wondered whether it would be worth garnering as much cross party support as possible within the Committee because this may be useful in the future.

PwME already have the support of Carol and we have just made contact with a Labour MP from the Committee. It would be good to try and focus efforts in contacting the Conservative members to help with any sort of cross party efforts.

Conservative MP’s
    Vicky Ford, Bill Grant, Stephen Metcalfe, Damien Moore and Neil O’Brien

Constituencies:-
    Chelmsford; Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock; South Basildon and East Thurrock; Southport and Harborough (respectively)

2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Other MPs who may be of interest:

Sam Gyimah MP Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation.

His constituency is next to ours! He represents E Surrey, including Oxted.
    Interestingly our ME group has just been approached by someone in that area....

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

It’s a good idea targeting Select Committee members for advocacy briefings. The Health Select Committee oversee the work of the Ministers in dept of Health/Social Care who responded in the Westminster Hall debates. With Dr Sarah Wollaston as chair (believe she was a GP) it may be a tougher nut to crack but definitely worth a go.

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She and her husband are also socially connected to Wessely.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ah ok but even so his social contacts don’t necessarily agree with his stance on ME.

6. It's M.E. Linda

@MEMarge If any assistance in letter writing is required, we have been working on a “rolling, copy/paste, constantly improving” one (with added paras relating to any MP’s particular areas/concerns) which has collected up 3 MPs so far, with two more in the pipeline!

Very happy to share ideas and have less reinventing of the wheel.

7. It's M.E. Linda

https://www.parliament.uk/business/.../health-and-social-care-committee/membership/

And some more possible MPs to ‘target’ with ME education....

8. KarenSW

KarenSW Established Member

@MEMarge Did anyone ever meet with Sam Gyimah MP. i'm just asking because he is now on the Science and Technology Select Committee and I think it would be good to have a conservative on that committee who was up to speed on ME issues to support anything that Darren Jones MP and Carol Monaghan MP might wish to do through the committee.

9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not that I know of. @Graham did you hear anymore from this family in Oxted?

10. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not recently: I'll get in touch.

11. It's M.E. Linda

@KarenSW would it be worth checking National DB to see whether any of the above Conservatives were contacted by constituents?

I agree that Cross Party efforts by the Science & Technology Committee, would be more effective

Invisible Woman, KarenSW and MEMarge like this.