1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish mother’s cancer misdiagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome - The Scotsman Mar 2019

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Sly Saint, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.scotsman.com/news/scott...agnosed-as-irritable-bowel-syndrome-1-4895603

Simbindi, Perrier, Inara and 10 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An example of the dangers of such as an MUS diagnosis. Without proper assessments people could die from treatable diseases.

Simbindi, Chezboo, Snowdrop and 3 others like this.
  3. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seeing this makes me so angry. The exact same thing happened to my husband's mother. She was told for over 3 years that her symptoms were just IBS, it was 'just her age', and to 'go away and stop wasting doctors' time'. By the time someone finally got off their backside and examined her properly, late stage bowel cancer had already spread to her liver and she couldn't be saved. And this isn't the only incident of this type of negligence that has happened among my friends and family. I really do despair at the poor quality and laziness among the medical profession nowadays. And yes, all this new 'MUS' crap will make cases like these catastrophically more common.

andypants, Simbindi, Amw66 and 10 others like this.